Honesty

By smoothies14 - 06/11/2015 17:29 - United States - Weatherford

Today, I was studying on a bench outside my dorm when the leg snapped. I decided to do the right thing and let administration know what happened. After assuring me it wasn't my fault, and having me fill out an incident report, they billed me $400. I can't enroll for next semester until I pay. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 475
You deserved it 2 441

Same thing different taste

Top comments

At least you did the right thing, most people would have walked away and pretended that they had no clue what happened... FYL for you having to pay for something that may or may not have been your fault

singlwforlife 22

That's the politics of college for you! I'm sorry, OP, you should fight that. I know my college has ways to fight unjust fines. I'm sure yours does too.

Comments

400$ for 1 leg of a bench? Platinum? For this sum you could have fun to demolish the whole building!

Get a lawyer and sue. seriously sue them, they deserve it.

Scorpio1691 29

Being that your institution is responsible for the maintenance of the academic environment, they would be liable for safety reasons if the leg of a bench snapped. Public benches, at least in my state, have a required minimum weight of 480lbs. I imagine your state has a similar statute. Unless you are in excess of the bench's maximum weight load, then the bench was clearly unsafe and you could sue for them providing an unsafe environment. Being that they billed you for it, you could also argue that they fined you without due process and implied an emotional attack by assuming you were of a mass that could single-handedly destroy a well-maintained bench. Holding your education hostage furthers the possible emotional damages by instilling fear and anxiety, while holding your diploma (which you've paid for/worked for) over your head unlawfully. You should have the right to an appeal; if they refuse, seek a free legal consultation [this is not one; I am not legally trained, but I have known people in similar situations]. If they give you a hearing, mention these concerns (don't threaten to sue outright) -- if they refuse to overturn the fine, seek a free legal consultation.

It's not OSU and don't be an ass; that community is really hurting right now.

Of course something like this would happen. I didn't need to look at OP's location to know this happened in America.

Since when does that cost 400 dollars

locustbb 9

Don't roll over and take that op. That's not legal unless you did something to make it break. Threaten them with a law suit for the neck pain you developed unless they remove the bill.