It's not a phase, mom

By What’s wrong with me? - 09/12/2021 22:58

Today, I have crippling self-hatred and suicidal thoughts for no reason. Nothing bad has happened to me in years, and I shouldn’t feel like this. I have no right to feel like this. I’m just a selfish, spoiled bitch with a good life who over exaggerates. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 081
You deserved it 358

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don’t beat yourself up about this. It doesn’t matter how good life is, mental health doesn’t discriminate. Maybe therapy and talking with a psychiatrist will help?

Mental health issues often spring from physical, not psychological causes. Your brain chemistry gets out of whack for whatever person, and suddenly you're thinking and behaving very differently. Depression is one way this can manifest; mania is too, and mania can be devastating in its own right. Adult Attention Deficit Disorder is yet another chemically/physically driven state, and while it's popular to believe it's over-diagnosed and over-prescribed, it's very real for a lot of people. Anyway, the point is, it's a medical condition. If you cut your hand open, and the wound wasn't closing correctly, and it was getting puffy and red, you'd go to a doctor, and (presumably) not feel any shame about it. The way your brain is functioning is the same thing; the only difference is, you can't see it with your bare eyes (you often CAN see changes in the brain using imaging technology like MRIs). It's a medical problem; if it's persists, see a doctor about it-- and don't feel badly about it if you do!

Comments

Jon Tessler 14

"nothing bad has happened to me in years".....did you seek therapy or counseling when it happened? if not, seek it out now. heck I still do therapy for things I saw in the military in the 80's. I didn't even admit I needed help until 2010. that is what depression does to us, it makes us tell ourselves "we are ok, or we are entitled". go talk to someone. good luck with your journey

Zeno999 5

Ego loves to suffer. It will pass dont worry. :)

You're not a horrible person. Your brain is broken. The thing that's supposed to tell you when something breaks in your body is the actual thing that's broken and that just really makes it all worse. You're not a failure because your brain chemistry is broken, just like you wouldn't be a failure because your leg was broken. Please, see a psychiatrist and get some help. Your broken brain is lying to you.

No that's depression among other things you might have a good life but your chemical balance is off