Manage your expectations

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2011 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my boyfriend of 4 years asked my dad if he could marry me, and my dad agreed. He then tells me that he's not going to propose for maybe another year at least, he "just wanted to get that out of the way." FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 607
You deserved it 3 776

Top comments

Comments

First, you should be happy he is planning to propose. Second, he may be planning to propose sooner but wants it to be a surprise. I hope you didn't voice your bitchy opinion to him about waiting a year because that might make him change his mind.

dawnmarie90 0

You know within 6 months of being with someone whether you want to marry them or not. The most I would ever wait would be two years, unless there's a financial burden. 4 years is a huge chunk of time to spend with someone and not have a deeper level of commitment. And marriage DOES change things, the bible does not encourage divorce. Today's culture has accepted it as a way to erase mistakes and make problems just disappear. If arranged marriages worked in the olden days then unless you are being cheated on or being beaten, you should work it out. The covenant marriage is an awesome way to endure the tests your marriage goes through.

Well at least he's planning on being with you for the rest of his life ? But this is funny anyway x)

maybe he has your kids' names decided already :P

CataracsFan 10
gonaners16 4

I don't understand why ladies want their guy to ask dad first... If you are old enough for him to ask, you are old enough to make your own choices. It's not dad's decision or life, it's yours. Part of being ready for marriage is being mature enough to decide that without outside help. ...

gonaners16 4

I know it's "traditional" to do so, but dad doesn't "own" you like in older times. If your dad had said no, would you have broken up with the man you love?

He sounds like a planner....and a loser.

ZDK5498 6

he wanted to know ahead of time... I'm sorry but don't get your hopes up...