By rhymehoardhh - 05/03/2016 01:41 - United States - Garland

Today, I received a big scholarship. I was ecstatic, until I looked up the cost of tuition at that university. I still need $120K. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 560
You deserved it 2 378

rhymehoardhh tells us more.

I submitted this FML because it felt like that moment when Miss Colombia had her crown stripped from her after two minutes, due to misjudging that the bulk of my tuition would be paid. However, I quickly got over it because yes, this was from a private university and there are many other options. Although this university is one of the top in my intended field, I will likely be attending a local state university at a fraction of the cost instead, cause it's just not worth it. Thank you so much for all your advice!

Top comments

Time to pull up the student loan applications, or see if you qualify for need based financial aid. University in the US is expensive. Expect to pay around $200,000 for a four year private university. It is cheaper for state schools. It is great that you have a partial scholarship. I am 4 years out from medical school and in my residency training, and I have more than $287,000 in student loans to pay back ...

Yup, college is expensive OP. Keep looking for scholarships though, it's helped me lessen the cost of tuition. Best of luck at university OP! :)

Comments

I'm so glad I grew up in France. The higher fee I paid for college before I was granted a scholarship was 400 eur a year, about 500 USD. And it was a reputed university. The costs of education in the US is simply insane.

Just do like all Americans and get student loans that your grandchildren will still be paying.

lechatsurletable 14

I had almost this exact same experience for undergrad. I got a great scholarship to a private university, but I still would've ended up with a minimum of $50,000 in debt by the end. I got a scholarship to my state university as well and chose that option. As a result, I have a total of about $6,000 of student debt from undergrad (because I also worked the whole way through and lived with my family to save money, irksome though it was). Now I'm in law school at a big-name university, again on scholarship because I was fortunate enough to get good grades in undergrad. Since I'm still working, I will be able to graduate law school with a total of about $30,000 in student debt from both law school and undergrad. It still sucks a bit, of course, and I don't really have a lot of free time, but it's not even remotely as bad as it could've been. So the moral of that novel is this: if you're planning on going to grad school, going to a cheaper school for undergrad is a great option so you don't have as many student loans to pay off later. Even if you aren't thinking grad school, I would still personally recommend the cheaper school, but definitely do your research and figure out what will work best for you. Best wishes to you on your journey!

I feel ya. A university called Lesley offered me a $10k/year scholarship, but then I realized that I still had over $30k/year to go... Colleges should have "buy one, get one free" deals for twins so my parents don't have to go broke sending two kids to college at the same time...

ashyash90 8

dude, no. no way this is real. unless you're talking for all four years. scholarships and grants often recur every year so I'd check into that first