By Anon - 26/01/2016 11:40 - United Kingdom - Kingston Upon Thames

Today, I requested a pay rise at work. They said they couldn't do it as they have to cut costs, so I resigned. They've now re-advertised my job for more money than I asked for. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 659
You deserved it 3 128

Same thing different taste

Comments

Talk to the HR if your old job had one, it would be cheaper to re hire you they wouldn't have to spend time training

Go up to the manager and ask for your job back, as they obviously need someone for the position if they're willing to pay more than you asked for.

Good on you for having the balls to walk because you know you're worth more though.

mzdaisylynn 12

Maybe the employers didn't think he was worth the pay raise. Maybe he is lazy or a bad employee.

mzdaisylynn 12

Maybe the employers didn't think she was worth the pay raise. Maybe she is lazy or a bad employee.

Hope you had a job waiting in the wings before you quit!

Mathalamus 24

why would you quit your job? for that matter, why even ask for a pay raise? i always understood it as quite rude, as its done by merit and by time, and no amount of asking will speed it up.

Lots of companies don't have a formal pay schedule. Each employee is expected to negotiate their own salary. Asking for a pay raise is pretty standard, as long as you can explain why you deserve it.

It's common practice in higher level jobs to ask for raises. if there is a good reason such as, gaining more education in your field, taking on more responsibility like a leadership role or larger projects. More money is rarely offered freely even when it is deserved.

Mathalamus 24

well, the way i see it, if i earn enough money to live comfortably, i never need a raise. i would only ever need a raise to fight inflation. or something.

Story time! Back when I was 17 and had my first job, I ended up in a little department called Payroll. Basically, I ended up being trained to process pays for the staff along with a team of about 8 others, plus a manager. At the time I was being paid $18,000 per year which works out to roughly $9 an hour. I never questioned my pay because I was 17 and too timid and polite to ever "cause waves" or question anything. Anyway I ended up leaving that job because the management was crap and I was miserable. I worked 12 hour days with no overtime and was constantly picking up work for the others. Went to a new place. Interviewed. With my job experience, they decided to hire me. I asked for $20,000 at the new job because I thought that was how pay worked. They decided to pay me on the lowest level of their pay scale for someone working in payroll. My pay jumped to $36,000 pa. Since then, in the past 8 years, I've negotiated several pay rises, received bonuses, and been promoted. Current salary: $78,000 pa. Don't be afraid to ask for a raise if you really deserve it. Either you'll get it, you'll get a good reason why they can't give it, or you'll find out the management is crap.

Why would you resign just because you were told no? I mean if there is a history of other things then maybe but just because you didn't get what you wanted is no excuse to quit. Especially if you haven't been working there very long. This is lacking a lot of major details

Maybe there was something about you personally that made them deny your request

Sooo you needed a raise and because you didn't get it you quit and forfeited all wages altogether? Smart.

Thank you. I thought I was the only one who was thinking this

For OP being a dumbass? I forgot nobody takes personal responsibility anymore.