By nana_star - 14/02/2014 07:59 - South Africa - Johannesburg

Today, in the middle of telling my mother about my engagement, she suddenly broke down in tears about her problems at work and her loveless marriage, and abruptly hung up on me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 042
You deserved it 4 491

nana_star tells us more.

Wow! I can't believe this got published! To fill you guys in, my stepdad is just going through a rough time and it's taking its toll on my mom. She is better now and congratulated us both! Thanks to everyone who congratulated us as well! (I'm not sure if FML will show my OP-ness because I'm using the mobile app. If it doesn't, I promise I'm not a troll) :)

Top comments

Comments

doglover100 28

congratulations for your engagement OP! have an amazing wedding and a great marriage just out of curiousity - when did you ask your mom last time how she is? besides the rhetorical phrase in the beginning of a conversation.

My mom and I weren't close when I was younger but we are now. We talk daily :)

that's a great thing. but i wonder why she then chose your wedding announcement as the right time to spill the beans on what troubles her. anyways. as mentioned all the best for you and your hubby to be and also for your mom to sort out her problems and also enjoy life a bit more :)

maybe she started talking before op could tell her. if they talk daily then maybe she thought it was one of the daily calls

Congratulations on your engagement, and from your follow-up comment above, it seems your mom has her issues sorted out, so that's good.

olpally 32

Thanks mom... Jesus. Glad I read op's comment, glad she's good now!

I think she just felt happy for you but timing was not right. Congrats

She sounds like she's going through a tough time, give her a few days, she'll come around(:

Hope your father gives a better response...congrats BTW...

When I called my dad to announce my engagement he moaned at me for calling after 9pm. Parents are sometimes assholes, don't worry about it - you have your fiancée for love and support. Congratulations!

Contrata OP!! Sorry about the way your mama reacted, I'm sure she's very happy for you ;)