Close call

By MC - 14/05/2009 14:11 - Canada

Today, while working at a children's day camp, one of the kids who is allergic to peanuts went into anaphylactic shock. I ran and grabbed the boy's Epipen. I was holding it backwards so the injection went into my hand, causing me to pass out, and both of us to be rushed to hospital. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 629
You deserved it 56 828

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kellster 2

Not panicking is a good thing. Also, paying attention during the first aid training. And it's "epi pen", for the record.

Too bad you can't spell anything else....

Comments

I wouldn't want my kids to go to camp with people like you... even if you haven't been around allergic people this is something you need to know when you are responsible for kids with allergies...

WOW!! That's not a FML. That's a you're ******* stupid! This guy obviously didn't pass out from an epi overdose, he's probably just a pussy who passed out because he was scared of the needle. ONE epi injection definitely doesn't have enough of a dose to make someone pass out. Trust me, my friend used one the other day for fun. P.S. it says right on the epi pen how to use it.. way to go champ

kellster 2

#38: http://www.epipen.com/

comment_fml 0

My brother's allergic to nuts -- I'm always worried that if I have to use the epi pen that'll happen to me... there are practice epi pens that you can use that don't actually inject anything, but you can see how it's supposed to work (not that you'll be forgetting how to use it anytime soon, I would imagine)

#21 he said the kid deserves to die for having an allergy to something so stupid =/

karls 0

At least you tried. YDI though

comment_fml 0

Also, #42, using an epi pen when you're not having an allergic reaction can be life threatening. Might want to tell your friend.

Wow, way to en-danger a person's life. I understand the terror of it all, but if you're not prepared to take a moment to breathe and think clearly, then you shouldn't be someone in responsibility. And, #42, Yes, using an Epi Pen needlessly can indeed be life threatening. I'm surprised you're friend didn't suffer seriously. Think about it, you're getting a massive injection of epiniferene which sends your heart rate sky high. Don't be a jackass, those things are £40 quid a pop.

penguinattack82 0

I think you guys are giving the poster way too much shit. First of all, at many day camps, they don't teach employees how to administer medication. I worked at one and worked with kids with allergies, diseases, etc. and I had never been taught how to deal if they had an emergency. So if that's the case, at least that isn't the poster's fault. Second of all, you guys are saying he/she shouldn't have administered the medicine then. Well, what if no one knew how to use the epi pen? Should people have sat there and waited until they could find someone who knows how to use it? A quick response was needed and the OP reacted quickly. Believe me, I understand the kid was in danger. I come from a family with a history of severe allergies and have witnessed my own share of dangerous allergic reactions, but I wouldn't blame the OP for trying to help and react quickly. And so what if they did panic? You can't be expected to remain calm at all situations. The OP was probably just concerned with getting the epi pen and administering it to the kid quickly. And also, I know the epi pens are "idiot proof" but honestly, I think anyone who doesn't have experience dealing with people with allergies can make that mistake. Hell, I've had experience and I think I can make it. OP, I'm glad you and the kid are ok. Sorry this is so long!