Class

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my five year-old daughter came up to me and asked, "Mom, why are we so poor?" I replied, in a sweet motherly tone, "Honey, we're not poor." She then asked, "Then why do you dress like we are poor?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 564
You deserved it 8 367

Top comments

turtlellama 0

What kind of friends does this girl have?

thattickles 0

ouch, she's starting off early. i only started questioning if we were poor when i was 15. and we are, but really it doesn't matter. show your kid there are better things in life than money.

Comments

Most of what #20 said is a good idea. I'd ask your daughter what kind of clothes does she think "rich people" wear, and then give her an answer about why you dress "poor," depending on what she says. She's obviously got a misconception about what poor looks like/means, OR you get all your clothes from a thrift store and smell like poor, which is perfectly okay. (: #4, you have a computer. You're far better off than a lot of people.

newguy_fml 0

she probably gets all her views from TV and the people who look "nice" on the street. Just explain to her that people dont get dressed up all the time.

"In a sweet motherly tone,"? Was that part really necessary? It's not like most moms go around yelling at their kids with a harsh, german accent. And you should know by now that kids always speak with brutal honestly. Learn from it, damnit!

Panicattackx5 0

Kids are probably making fun of your daughter. I went through that too, kids are little bastards.

nwoodh 0

#21, just because #4 posted on FML doesnt mean they own a computer. It just means they had access- which you can do i most libraries for free! I do it all the time. And OP: Kids say the darndest things...for all kinds of different reasons. Dont stress it- look at it as an opportunity to do some shopping!

SmoothTalker 0

yo #8 chill the **** out...she's FIVE

Twiiggy 0

#2 she probably is buying nice clothes for her family thats why she dresses frumpy. Keyword: why do YOU dress like we're poor