Class

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my five year-old daughter came up to me and asked, "Mom, why are we so poor?" I replied, in a sweet motherly tone, "Honey, we're not poor." She then asked, "Then why do you dress like we are poor?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 564
You deserved it 8 367

Top comments

turtlellama 0

What kind of friends does this girl have?

thattickles 0

ouch, she's starting off early. i only started questioning if we were poor when i was 15. and we are, but really it doesn't matter. show your kid there are better things in life than money.

Comments

ouch xD that sucks. well whatever, she probably just doesnt understand todays fashion since she's so young. Unless you wear that hobo fashion wear

Ouch... I grew up poor, learning to make my clothes last a long time because of how expensive they are. I understand she's young and all, but she needs to learn that money doesn't grow on trees.

"Because mommy has had a hard time finding lolipops to suck lately."

bco12 0

i'm guessing she's hanging out with little brats who are influencing her. i remember when i was in first grade all the girls wanted to be fashion models and talked crap about anyone who wore "plain" clothes.

arienh4 0

#8 She's five.. years... old. Kids act like that, it's no big deal. It's not an FML either. Seriously, YDI for thinking something your five year old daughter Fs your life.

agree w/#16. She's 5 years... she prob doesn't mean it :)

twindaddy 0

You should have taken that opportunity to explore what it might mean to your child if you were, indeed, poor. I've had my children ask both if we're rich, and why we don't have some things their friends have. I usually approach sticky conversations like that with honesty and looking for the motivations underneath them. Typically, a child wants to know about their place in the world and how they fit in with their friends. They also get easily embarrassed, so maybe someone at school has pointed out the way you dress...The bottom line is to leave your child feeling secure in their lifestyle and identity, and to listen to them, because maybe there is something you need to change within yourself.