By AtLeastTheyreClean - 27/01/2017 19:28 - Australia - Melbourne

Today, after hours of protesting and tantrums, I finally got my kids to clean their rooms. They're all really proud of themselves and enjoying all the extra space. I'm stuck with the three extra loads of laundry they found in there. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 991
You deserved it 2 149

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Now is a great time to teach them how to do their own damned laundry.

So... Teach them do it themselves? You parents really need to stop underestimating the value of chores...

Comments

num1piglover 13

Depending on their age it may be time for them to learn how to do their own laundry or at least sort it fold it and put it away if you don't trust them with the washer/dryer.

They can learn to do the laundry. There is no better time than now.

Not if they're only 6 or something. We don't know how old ops kids are.

Just what exactly are you complaining about? Your kids did their chores and afterwards were HAPPY that they had done them. If I was in your position I would be milking this positive outlook on chores for all its worth. Teach them about laundry immediately before it all fades lol.

I understand every family is different but my 2 yr old helps me with her laundry (we have front loaders so she can reach) and picks up her toys and feeds her dog. She most definitely throws a tantrum about picking up toys, but she has to do it or lose the toy for a week. If you have no problem doing the laundry then go ahead, but if you do have a problem with it then the temper tantrums might be worth it in the long run if they learn to clean up after themselves, little by little, my daughter's tantrums get a little shorter as she realizes I'm not giving in. Either way, good luck!

I understand every family is different but my 2 yr old helps me with her laundry (we have front loaders so she can reach) and picks up her toys and feeds her dog. She most definitely throws a tantrum about picking up toys, but she has to do it or lose the toy for a week. If you have no problem doing the laundry then go ahead, but if you do have a problem with it then the temper tantrums might be worth it in the long run if they learn to clean up after themselves, little by little, my daughter's tantrums get a little shorter as she realizes I'm not giving in. Either way, good luck!

bobsanction 18

You basically asked for this.

OP here. Just want people to know that the kids HAVE a hamper. It even has a light and dark section. They just don't put the dirty clothes in the hamper, regardless of how many times I tell them. The hamper is located in such away that they pass it whenever they leave their rooms. The stakes are high at our house too, as we are in a big ******* spider area, and our cat will pee on clothes left on the floor. But they are 10 and 11 and don't ******* care!! They will leave it and blame ME for THEM running out of clothes. And that's how it's meant to be. Because kids are stupid and selfish and irresponsible because they are children and aren't supposed to be intelligent, empathetic and responsible. They are kids!!! BTW, my kids are not touching the washing machine until they work out what 'light' and 'dark' colours are. It's a ******* mess in that hamper. FML

Depending on their ages, it's time to get them involved. I was helping with folding my clothes when I was eight, and once I was tall enough to operate the machines, I was told that I was responsible for washing my own clothes.

Need more info: are they too young to pick up after themselves or just lazy? I have kids and learning to do their own, or at least help, will make them better adolescents and adults. AND can you make sure it gets done more often by implementing a punishment/reward system, or allowance for completing cleaning chores?

I feel you. I have one kid that is old enough to clean her room and every time she does I feel like there are way more clothes than necessary.. she cleans her room every night before bed. I think she changes her clothes 10 times a day before she picks something and just throws it all in the dirty laundry to avoid putting it away... she's 3.