By mr1234 - 05/03/2014 21:37 - United States - North Weymouth

Today, every "entry level" job in my field is now requiring 2-5 years experience. I don't think they understand what "entry level" actually means. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 834
You deserved it 3 375

mr1234 tells us more.

Thanks for the support and encouragement everyone, it's nice to know that I wasn't totally degraded for something that's been extremely frustrating. I'm very lucky the currently have a full time job (A supervisory position, at 24, as a woman!). And for those wondering, my field is business administration. i have a Bachelor's degree and plenty of legitimate work experience, just not experience that is directly related to what they want. so *whoosh* in the trash goes my resume!

Top comments

samimarie199 22

Jobs these days expect more than they say they do so... Like the saying goes "no job no experience, no experience no job". Good luck op

Comments

I totally agree with u... Due to this shit I have been unemployed for quite a time now

I had a similar issue looking for work in IT but I met a guy at jiu jitsu classes who offered me work experience and said it might lead to a job.. 2 months later I was full time and on good money (for a first job!) and that was 2 and a half years ago now, still full time permanent. I had absolutely no experience or qualifications, but he liked my attitude and was happy to train me up. I was lucky he over heard me saying I was in to computers and he happened to be a super cruisy and fun boss. Now I got experience and qualifications through work paying for study. It leads me to believe its more who you know than what you know when it comes to getting your foot in the door.. and obviously some luck helps too. Don't give up guys, spread your wings and expose yourself to as many opportunities as you can.

It is really annoying when I see an ad that says "kick start your career" but then says you must have 5 year's experience. I suppose in some ways it's false advertising. To me, Entry Level should mean ideal for someone fresh out of university!

Mysterion345 11

I had much the same problem when applying for jobs three years ago. I was fresh out of college with no industry experience, and it took me literally 700 (I kept track) job applications and 20+ interviews to net just one job offer. It seems that the bar has simply been raised, with the expectation being that colleges are supposed to offer classes that teach real-world information rather than textbooks, and that everyone is supposed to land an internship *before* graduating college.

usernaaame 4

This makes perfect sense. Get an internship and if you're not good enough for that, volunteer somewhere related to your position. Not only does volunteering look great, but you don't have to work there full time and if you do your work right the people there will only have great things to say about you.

They understand what it means, it's just that you don't. When they say entry level, it's for that field. An entry level nuclear technician needs a hell of a lot of training and experience, for example.

Asstarotte 7

This could give you the upper hand just walk into the interview and be like "I have found a mistake." They will be impressed.

amccaul1976 8

you must be in the IT field. such a catch 22 you need a job to get experience and to get experience you need a job. A-HOLEs