By BlindInTheDark - 09/10/2013 18:02 - United States - Londonderry

Today, I again failed to convince my girlfriend that the $100 in our account is the minimum amount we have keep there to avoid being charged by the bank. We have a joint checking account, and the only way to take her off it is to close the account outright. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 218
You deserved it 7 668

BlindInTheDark tells us more.

Hey everyone, I see a lot of people in favor of the "close it outright" option, but of course I forgot to mention that in order to do so, we both have to go in and agree to close it. The only reason didn't do that ages ago is because I haven't come up with a way to convince her it's for the best, and since I DO plan to commit to her, I don't want to upset her.

Top comments

Opening a joint checking account with someone to whom you are not married is a bit stupid. Opening one with someone who doesn't understand basic banking is downright ludicrous.

1dvs_bstd 41

Well then, seems like we already have a solution, don't we OP?

Comments

This would be much funnier if my last ex gf didn't have same approach to money (no we did not have join account)

So close the f*ing account and get a new one.... Duh

You shouldn't even open a joint account with your spouse let alone your girl friend. You live and you learn. Bet you won't do this again!

so close the acct and open another one in your own. having a joint acct is a very bad idea

Maybe you can get a debit account with her? I have a debit card and there's no credit and they don't charge me if my account is empty. If you tell her you think a debit account would suit you better maybe she won't even be hurt and then you won't be stuck with the fees. I have no problem having a joint account aslong as you also have personal accounts and the joint one is for joint expenses.