By jessiebear159 - 28/05/2015 07:04 - United States - Menahga

Today, I got engaged. When I called my father, who is out of state for a few days, to tell him, his response was, "What'd you do that for?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 389
You deserved it 2 901

jessiebear159 tells us more.

Thank you for congratulating me. I agree that my father's response was probably just from shock. He called me not long after we hung up the first time and apologized for reacting that way. I am the youngest of his children and his only daughter, he may just not be ready to let me go yet. He has only been married once, to my mother, and they have been married happily for 22 years. I appreciate the advice that was given and I plan to talk to him more about his concerns when he gets back this coming week.

Top comments

cooltatgar 31

"For ***** sake dad, for ***** sake"

I guess it depends on how old are you..anyways I'm sure you're old enough to make your own decisions. He could've been more supportive but I wish you the best

Comments

It seems like a legit question, from his response it sounds like you're not close. Was he aware you were dating someone?

It's possible the guy is a d-bag and the girl is just too infatuated to see it. Just like that stupid "marry that girl" song. What's the point in asking for permission if you're going to do it anyway? Maybe the dad just doesn't think his daughter should marry an out of work musician, and that's hardly bad advice.

TallMist 32

But you're assuming the guy is a d-bag instead of the dad.

I can see my dad saying the same thing to me.

jessieluvxo 9

Aww well hopefully he warms up when he sees that you're happy :)

Maybe he wanted to be there in person to witness the miracle that is the assurance of lowered taxes.

JohnSeedot 12

Maybe he was a bit put off you proposed without having him around to celebrate?

Omfgitsmia 15

"What'd you do that for?" = "What did you do that for?" I suppose grammatically, he could have said "Why did you do that?" It made sense to me though.

Jord_Fox 14

Tell him your joking then 1 day before your wedding let him know that you weren't joking He'll be to shocked to complain