By emogurl - 22/07/2009 05:47 - United States

Today, I returned from a month-long stay in a psych ward for severe depression and suicide attempts. The first words my friends say to me when I call them and let them know I'm out? "Does this mean you're not gonna be so emo? 'cause that was really annoying." FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 913
You deserved it 28 191

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You mean "ex-friends", right? Tell them it's their fault you were in there. Bastards.

I am so sorry and I hope that now you are ok and on the road back to recovery. It annoys the hell out of me that when anybody shows any kind of emoiton they are considered emo, it's as if showing any sign of sadness, depression or any other emotion like that is wrong, its not it is an emotion and if not shown it can lead to dangerous circumstances and situations The next person who say "OMG I was so emo I cried today" I am going to SCREAM !!!

Comments

First thing you need to do, sweetheart, to keep the therapy going and to make sure you don't have a relapse, is to get new friends immediately. We can obviously see the trigger for your suicide attempts. For your own health and quality of life, please reject those people. A poor girl on my college campus committed suicide a week ago, and she had loving, supportive friends. What do you think having a-hole friends is going to do? God willing, you will be alright.

Furthermore, to the idiots and their counterparts who have hijacked this comment thread: please get a life. This FML was not about you, it was about a sick woman who needed support. The fact that you could spend a needless hour of your day pissing at each other just speaks to how much time you really do have on your hands. Go back to work, go watch your kids, and go be bitter somewhere else. Kthxbye.

Why on earth would ANYONE post something like this on a site thats supposed to be funny/entertaining.... obviously she's looking for EXTRA attention... if she were truly depressed... it wouldn't be annoying to other people... cause she wouldn't be talking about it she would just stop talking to them.... i call COMPLETE bull shit on her being clinically depressed. Im a psych major... this is NOT the behavior of an actual CLINICALLY depressed person. YDI for wanting attention

To all the insensitive pricks who know NOTHING about clinical depression: it is serious. It's not a joke. As a person with clinical depression, I'm insulted if someone calls me emo, even as a joke. I have attempted suicide and I'm still here only because I was found unconscious after ODing. It was the hardest thing I ever did when I had to open up at the hospital/pysch ward. I was ashamed to admit that I felt so ****** up. I still don't know why. We can't "get over it" as so many of you have suggested. Honestly, I wish it was easy enough just to think "Oh my life isn't really that bad," and go skipping off. I'd love to think that. But if I do, I just laugh and think, "Lies." If I could've just thought happy thoughts and be cured, life would be totally awsome. The OP doesn't need a "good reason" to be depressed. It could've been genetic, or has been there all along but hasn't been very noticable and finally triggered by something, as was my case - I was triggered by half of my friends leaving me because I started getting zits, and then my self-esteem became lower than a bottomless pit and I was falling in a black void. Yes, I've gotten better friends, and it sounds like the OP needs some better ones too. I understand that some people can go through some really messed up things and not be depressed, but that just means that they were lucky not to have messed up brain levels. There can also be people with perfectly normal lives that are miserable. If you've never had depression, please read the comments posted by those who have. It's one of things that you have to have experienced to really understand. You can sympathetic and understanding at the most, but you can never truely understand like someone's who has experienced it. Count yourself lucky that you haven't. While you may be ignorant and rather rude, you've escaped years and years of misery and suffering. And just because the OP has attempted suicide more than once doesn't mean she's a failure and should actually kill herself next time. That means that her depression is SERIOUS and needs attention. Most people that go to a pysch ward often end up going more than once. It's a hard disorder to treat. Sometimes anti-depressants don't work, or your therapist isn't that good. My anti-depressants worked a little too well, and I was just too happy, so I switched to a different "happy pill" as my friends and I jokingly call it. but luckily my therapist is really good, and has recently started a group therapy for teens my age with problems. Some of them haven't had depression, but they still understand, cause they know other people like me and don't laugh and point like the thousands of people here that clicked "YDI." Seriously, it's not fun to walk around and hear someone point at you, laughing, and say, "Haha! You cut yourself!" So please try to be more understanding. I bet a lot of you would be understanding and sympathetic to someone with cancer. Depression is just as serious. Cut it out. And "emo" is a fashion statement and a genre of music. It has nothing to do with clinical depression, a disorder.

Well it seems that being clinically depressed says nothing about your intelligence. The point all the assholes, including myself are trying to make.. Is that OP isn't clinically depressed.

At least I'm intelligent enough to have knowledge about something before I make up my mind about something. If OP was in a pysch ward for a month, she's clinically depressed. The people there can tell who's faking, and once the mandatory 72 hours is over, they leave. I was only there for two weeks, but a whole month means she must have had it bad. I'm mostly pretty neutral over whether she was lying or not. I think it matters more that people stop mixing up emos and clinical depression.

Hey, you're going to have to find new friends. Because friends who think that your suicide attempts was just an act of a social trend aren't worth keeping. It's going to hurt, to again feel so alone and isolated when you say goodbye to these insensitive people, but it's for the better. You have to understand that you're a strong person to be able to carry on with your disorder. And to all the ******* here who are too close-minded and not compassionate enough to understand that depression is a disease, not a personality trait; you wouldn't act like dickheads to a cancer patient who had to go through chemo, so why are you guys so callous to someone who also had to go through a serious rehabilitation period? You guys need to learn to become bigger people and stop the stigma. Mental health and physical health are one the same level of importance.

Vermelle 0

Your friends are assholes, get new ones. That's all there is to it. I hate the word/stereotype "emo"...

Justin1502 0

If they said that then those are not the people you want to be friends with. Those are the people that drag you down unfortunately. Best to you! I'm glad you're doing better. Depression is tough, but you will get through it all!

Vampire_princess 0

If my "friends" did that, I would tell them we aren't friends anymore. But I would say it in a more colorful way. I hope you find actual friends soon.

Hugsandslices 0

I don't think you can seriously want to end your life and then go brag about it on here. And don't bring god into your shit. I have never believed in a god, never will, and I love life and cherish every day I get to be here.