By Anonymous - 25/03/2016 19:07 - United States - Los Angeles

Today, I spent a lot of money buying a birthday gift for a close friend, only to find out I'm not even invited to the party. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 378
You deserved it 1 864

Same thing different taste

Comments

Ihavegas 22

you are your own close friends, congratulations the prezzies are now yours!

Don't make an issue of it, but return the present. Obviously you are not as close a friend as you thought and I know that hurts.

You should keep it for yourself OP. Cheer up, some people just can't identify nice people.

I'm surprised at all the "return the gift/break up with her" comments. There are a bunch of possible situations here. The friend could have just forgot to invite her by accident, assumed she knew and was coming, told someone else to be sure to tell her and they forgot, or it's possible they're not as close as op thinks, but just jumping to conclusions after one situation, which could easily be a miscommunication, seems stupid to me.

danceinconverse 25

Right? When someone says they have this weird friend who thinks theyre besties everyone loves to jump on the hate train and immediately lynches the "weird friend" for being socially awkward, but when it's a scenario like this everyone is ready to put down the other person for being a "horrible friend". FML's are short guys, you don't get a whole lot of info and you only get one side of the story. I'm not saying either of those scenarios is what's happening in this one because like I said, I don't have enough information. But why does everyone have to jump to the extreme conclusion every time????

If Op feels hurt the friend didn't invite her to the party, she should return the present. There is no need to become resentful of a person. But if it were me, I would just ask about the party and see what the friend says.

Smash it in front of them and then tell them the friendship is over

Wrong. The gift was expensive, therefore, smashing it would be a huge waste of time and money, and you would look ridiculous for doing it. So again, WRONG. Now, the RIGHT answer would be to return it, and splurge that money on yourself. Think smarter, not harder.

Get a refund and buy a peanut butter milkshake

mariri9206 32

To follow 32's statement, they could be lactose intolerant. lol

Guess you're not as close as you thought, sorry OP. Try and return the gift or you can give it to them anyways.

What's the gift? Send it to me! I'll be your friend!

As OP doesn't specify their age, I'm going to propose 2 scenarios. The first one: Maybe they're still teenagers, in which case, maybe the friends parents will only allow a select few people to attend. And so OP got cut out by no fault of the friend. Scenario two: OP and their friend are both adults and the friend is just a dick.

It's also possible that OP is a jerk and doesn't realize that the friend doesn't like them or OP doesn't know the person super well and didn't realize that the person had friends that she considered close, but Op thought she was special.

Axel5238 29

Agreed, but also it could be a family planned b-day who knows. It could be there are people there OP doesn't get along with. The point is just being someone's friend even a good one doesn't automatically entitle you to an invite. It's nice to invite someone, but you aren't entitled to an invite.

I didn't invite one of my best friends to a birthday party once, but it was because her parents didn't like me at the time and she would have gotten in trouble for hanging out with me. Sometimes there are genuine reasons for these things. Also, all the people saying OP should return the gift or keep it for themselves are childish as all hell. Being immature about it won't fix anything.

It's not childish when the gift was expensive, #57. Now what's childish is not inviting someone because of their parent's opinion. The parents can have a field day with it, sure. But YOU could've at least shown you would damn the rules for your BEST friend by inviting her anyway. At least you would've shown that you cared enough to write her name on a freakin' invite, just saying.... By not inviting her, you were basically siding with her parents, but that's just me talking.

I agree, #70. I had a few friends growing up that my mom didn't really like, but I still always invited them to my parties and they always invited me to theirs. My mom wasn't always thrilled but she accepted it because she knew we were friends, but even if she hadn't let me go I would definitely still have wanted my friend to show they care enough to invite me rather than saying "oh, your mom won't like it if you come so I just won't bother inviting you at all." Better to be invited to the party and not be allowed to go or get in trouble for going rather than to feel like your supposed friend just didn't want you there at all.