By drbckflps - 18/12/2014 00:48 - Australia - Mount Gravatt

Today, my mother-in-law asked for a copy of my son's death certificate so she could have her week-long island beach holiday classed as bereavement leave. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 920
You deserved it 2 976

drbckflps tells us more.

I haven't read all the comments yet but thank you for your condolences. This is indeed the grandmother of my son and no, she didn't take the holiday as a way of grieving - it was purely opportunistic. She wasn't even polite to us at the funeral: her words to me were, "In six months when I get back you'll have forgotten this whole thing ever happened." Very disappointing. Thank you all again. I'll reply again when I get a chance to read some more comments.

Top comments

That's horrible:( I'm sorry for your loss!

Everyone can grieve differently, but that just seems a bit heartless and opportunistic. I'm sorry for your loss OP, I can't imagine how that feels.

Comments

tool3rdeye 7

You should end her, then use her death certificate to take bereavement leave and go on that same vacation.

Uh maybe if they make it seem like suicide they'll never know lol jk jk don't thumbs down this thing pls

TallMist 32

Their son died and you're joking about suicide...

epilepticloh 20

I'm sooo sorry :( ...this reminds me if that episode if Seinfeld tho when George wanted to do that to get plane tickets for free

I haven't read all the comments yet but thank you for your condolences. This is indeed the grandmother of my son and no, she didn't take the holiday as a way of grieving - it was purely opportunistic. She wasn't even polite to us at the funeral: her words to me were, "In six months when I get back you'll have forgotten this whole thing ever happened." Very disappointing. Thank you all again. I'll reply again when I get a chance to read some more comments.

Just so you know what you are dealing with: Psychopathy is traditionally defined as a personality disorder characterized by enduring antisocial behavior, lack of empathy and remorse, and disinhibited or bold behavior. (via wikipedia) Tell her she won't see you grieving in half a year, or ever, because you are cutting her our of your life entirely and forever. You have more than enough on your plate to last you a lifetime, you don't need scum like her to add to that load.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss OP. When you lose a child the grandparents should be helping you; not what this piece of crap is doing to you and the rest of the family. Your son is in a better place and looking over you. Please cut that woman out of your life and /or maybe get her some help.

I'm sorry for the hurt she's causing you, and the pain she's adding that hurt on. I can't imagine the total depth of your grief, as I've never had children, but I can tell you that you will find amazing people out there in the world who will always be there for you. There are some fair-weather friends who don't understand what it is to lose a child, and they will eventually lose the empathy they have for you right now, but there are many others, both in and out of your same boat, that know exactly what you need. It's the smallest consolation I can give, but if you wish to talk to me, just send me a message. People say I have good ears when they're needed. And last, and least, cut that toxic woman out of your life. I'm vindictive, so I would call her boss and tell him/her what she's trying to pull, but that's probably considered underhanded. I know you will be able to find happiness after this. Maybe not now, and maybe not in the near future, but time will make this hurt better.

I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot comprehend what she has said to you. The person who replied with the details of what makes a physchopath is spot on. She sounds like she can't understand emotions. I hope you and your spouse make it through this together

#147, I too am sorry for the OPs loss, and to say the monster-in-laws request and behavior was inappropriate is an understatement in the highest degree. However, calling someone scum when their actions are clearly due to what your yourself described as a personality disorder sheerly for the sake of condolence is inappropriate as well. Psychopathy is exactly that, a disorder, a persons brain not working the way it should. I have many psychopathic/sociopathic tendencies myself, almost enough to be considered a psychopath. I actually had several conversations with an Air Force psychiatry flight commander while I was enlisted. We hypothesized that, as a persons IQ increased, so would their level of psychopathy/sociopathy, as many of the worlds smartest and most successful people are believed to be functioning psychopaths. Key word: functioning. The flight commander made it a point to tell me she was glad I was a religious person, because it scared her to think of the things I would be capable of without some kind of moral guidance, and a sense of accountability more important than the silly and easily dismissed laws we have in place. Throw a wolf in a sheep's pen like that'll be enough to reign in his wild side and some sheep is gonna get eaten, no matter how many times you tell the wolf not to; put the wolf in its own pen, the sheep are safe. The psychopath is the wolf, the pen is the moral compass. Psychopaths aren't scum simply because they're psychopaths, no more than wolves are scum because they're wolves.

To 177, I don't think I've ever seen a point missed by so far. And to OP, just know that even though your mother may not show you the support and care that you need in this tough time, we FML-ers here feel your pain and we're here for you.

That's a horrible thing to say at a funeral for a kid, especially if it's your own grandchild. I don't mean to offend you, but does she have issues or something?

Sorry about your loss. I lost my cousin a few years ago, and he wasn't even 10 years old yet.

"In six months you'll forget this ever happened" W.T.F???????? What a cruel, horrible woman. You don't deserve any of that OP.

FlinkeMeisje 5

"You'll have forgotten"???!?!?!!! There are no words for this. I'm so sorry for your loss. The death of a child is one of the most tragic losses, perhaps THE most tragic loss. Unless, apparently, you are this woman who would claim to be a grandmother. How in the world did you get any "You deserved it" votes? Unbe-freakin-lievable.

TallMist 32

Please tell me she didn't get the certificate.

how could anyone say you deserve this? so sorry for your loss. my prayers are with you and your family during this tragic time.

They either do it by accident or to just be complete assholes. I'm sorry about your loss OP and tell that dumb bitch to **** off.

Don't give it to her. That's selfish and inconsiderate of her. I'm sorry for your loss.

somechick8266 14

i am sorry for your loss. what an insensitive and inappropriate thing to do!

I'm so, so sorry to everyone who has said they've also lost a child. It's truly awful and always heartbreaking to learn others are also grieving their children. I will remember each of your comments and remember your children.

What an awful woman. I cant imagine ever "getting over" losing a child. Your son will forever be a part of you; now, in 6 months, and in 50 years. I suffered a miscarriage last May and the pain is still very real. My heart aches for you and your loss.

I would pretend to hand it to her, give her a paper cut with it, and then refuse to give it to her.