By drbckflps - 18/12/2014 00:48 - Australia - Mount Gravatt

Today, my mother-in-law asked for a copy of my son's death certificate so she could have her week-long island beach holiday classed as bereavement leave. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 920
You deserved it 2 976

drbckflps tells us more.

I haven't read all the comments yet but thank you for your condolences. This is indeed the grandmother of my son and no, she didn't take the holiday as a way of grieving - it was purely opportunistic. She wasn't even polite to us at the funeral: her words to me were, "In six months when I get back you'll have forgotten this whole thing ever happened." Very disappointing. Thank you all again. I'll reply again when I get a chance to read some more comments.

Top comments

That's horrible:( I'm sorry for your loss!

Everyone can grieve differently, but that just seems a bit heartless and opportunistic. I'm sorry for your loss OP, I can't imagine how that feels.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

The mother-in-law did not lose a child, op did. The mother-in-law is using her grandson (step grandson's?) death as an excuse to get out of work. The mother-in-law is a bitch to ask her daughter-in-law for a death certificate at a time like this.

Yes, forgive me, I thought that it was Op's husband that had died (therefore the MIL's son). I went to edit my comment but there was a problem and I couldn't find it to edit it. I re-commented below. But as I said in my other comment, what the MIL did is weird but I still can't imagine my parents losing one of their grandchildren and don't feel anybody has a right to judge someone that is grieving. Grief can be so overwhelming that people don't know what to do and I imagine the poor woman just wants to get away and be alone somewhere. Weird? Yes. But still grief in my opinion.

it was her grandson, not her child. You may be right, but it sounds like she was already planning a vacation and used this as an excuse to get paid while gone but not have to use vacation time. Also, if she really did need the time off for grieving, going on a vacation seems a strange way to do it. If nothing else she should be ashamed for leaving her son/daughter, instead of being present for emotional support during this hard time. I mean, her son/daughter lost a child. A good mother would use the time off work to be with her family during a time when she is OBVIOUSLY needed!

I do agree with that 28. I understand her wanting to get away to go and grieve, but to leave her son at this time when they would obviously need her is weird. Again though, she may be so lost in grief that she can't think of anyone else at the moment.

It's the grandmother who wants the vacation not her and only for her benifit.

rocker_chick23 27

#112: Read OP's follow-up comments. OP's mother in law did this because she is a selfish bitch, not because she is grieving.

I just re read the FML and realized that she was the grandmother and not the mother. I also have no idea where my comment is to edit it. Although this fact changes things a bit, I still don't feel that we can judge her. I can't imagine losing my nieces or nephews and I know my mom would be an absolute disaster if she ever lost one of her grandchildren. My mom wouldn't do this, but I still don't think it's right to judge anyone that does something out of grief.

moosetracks22 10

From what I'm reading I'm guessing that the mother-in-law already has this vacation planned out but now that her grandson died she wants to use it as an excuse to get it for free/reduced. I think it's one thing to grieve for a while and then maybe go away for a bit if you're still having troubles, but to use death as an excuse is low. A few years ago my family went through a very hard period where we lost both my grandparents within 3 months of each other, but we also had a vacation that was planned out for a while. My grandpa died 3 weeks before we left, and while the vacation was a great way to take our minds off the past 6 months, there was no way that we would use that as an excuse to get reimbursed.

The hell are you talking about? Take the opportunity, jeez

jthmtwin 16

So sorry for you and your SO's loss OP. Some people really are heartless.

This might be the only FML where I would think physical violence is acceptable.

Is she Korean? Korean dramas have taught me something valuable...

katydid91 31

I'm so sorry for your loss. To put it politely, it sounds like your mother in law is a piece of work!

i can't believe how people can be so heartless. sorry for the loss OP

angieefmylife 3

Heartless is an understatement to describe her & that's the lowest amount of "you deserves it"s Ive ever seen as well. I'm so sorry for you OP

reminds me of that Seinfeld episode ha