Generosity

By Anonymous - 22/08/2020 20:04

Today, my granny died. My aunt wants to throw away all her books and furniture. When I offered to take care of selling it, or giving it away, like granny would have wanted, my aunt said she would let me "keep a percentage" of the few bucks I’d get for my troubles. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 623
You deserved it 137

Same thing different taste

Top comments

tounces7 27

95% is still a percentage. You can toss her "a few bucks" since she seems to think that's all it's worth, and she sounds too lazy to even double check anyway.

Sorry for your loss. You and your aunt should focus on properly mourning now and put the materialistic bullshit off for a few days.

Comments

Sorry for your loss. You and your aunt should focus on properly mourning now and put the materialistic bullshit off for a few days.

tounces7 27

95% is still a percentage. You can toss her "a few bucks" since she seems to think that's all it's worth, and she sounds too lazy to even double check anyway.

Aunty won't know how much you sold for anyways. You can just say you gave it all away for free. If she was willing to put in some effort it would be different.

Your aunt doesn't get to decide that. Apply with the probate court to be the administrator of the estate.

The aunt is likely "Granny's" child and usually has more rank than a grandchild. Also, the aunt may know she's the executor (that's the proper term) of the will, so she may actually have that power to make such decisions.

Yes, you're right if there is a will, the aunt might be the executor. And if there was no will, the term would be the Administrator... like I said. And anyone who is an "interested party" (an heir) has the right to apply as administrator. And if the aunt is tbe executor, then she'd have to have submitted an application probate, as well as a copy of the Will, which would all be public record and easily verified..The tone of the O.P.'s post made it seem like a will has not been probated. Which is why I phrased my response the way I did. I've worked for two probate attorneys. And while I can't give legal advice, I can explain terms and procedures.

if your aunt doesn't have any legal power tell her to **** off

Find out what is in granny's will... And I'm sorry for your loss.

bloopaloop 27

Tbh, it depends on where it’s being stored in the mean time. Storage costs something to include if it is delaying selling a house. Anything you want to sell, get it out of there and in your possession now

i know someone that had a similar situation, someone asked her if she wanted the wine from someone who died. he had a lot, so she took it on, there was a lot that was old and not worth anything. after renting something to bring it home and using a lot of time sorting it, she found that some of it was worth something. the person who had asked her to take it thought it unfair after, cause it was his inheritance and wanted the ones that was worth a little money.

Is there no will? Even without a will, each state has pretty clear guidelines on asset division.