Grow up

By Anonymous - 17/12/2014 02:11 - United States - Gainesville

Today, a student's mother sent me an e-mail complaining that I was requiring her child to read a book containing mild profanity. She then demanded me to let him read an easier book. This would've been somewhat acceptable if the student wasn't in the 12th grade. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 186
You deserved it 2 890

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

I love it when parents demand things from teachers. Here, some of my experiences from high school: "My son has failed his test miserably, you'll give him a new chance or I take it to court!" "I can understand my daughter searching for a poem online instead of making one. You should give her a new chance." "You can't punish my boy. He's a teenager, it's normal he breaks the rules."

anthony_Calderon 15

My favorite "can't you just let this go? My son is just being a boy. Boys will be boys!"

#14 personal one for me. "How is it against school rules to threaten another child with a tank? How is he supposed to get a tank in the 6th grade? Why do you have this rule??"

One I heard earlier today: "You failed me? Why the f*** did you do that? I even studied!" *Storms out of room* Yells from hallway: "Wow this is so f***ing gay!" My 11th grade chemistry class, folks!

Ugh. "Boys being boys." The reason why the boys could do much worse things and be punished less than the girls. A double standard that shouldn't be used in the 21st century!

Tell her that it is totally fine if he chooses to read an easier book, he just won't pass the class.

I bet her son isn't half as innocent as she thinks.

Reminds me of one time in college when our English Literature teacher ran over the C-word in one of our books with a black marker because it was 'innapropriate' for us as students. Even though all of us were at least 18 at the time. Some people just don't know when to let teenagers grow up.

I've read books for English where they use all sorts of words, like shit and ****, and my parents don't care. That's basically overprotective parenting in a nutshell.

It wasn't anything too bad like "poppycock" was it?

My mom flipped out when we were reading "Go Ask Alice" in high school