Nice try

By Journo - 27/04/2009 19:46 - United States

Today, after two months of unemployment, I got a call from a marketing firm offering me an interview for an entry-level position. While Googling the company, I discovered it's a scam. I graduated college in 3 years with a 3.5 GPA, and the only interview I can get is at a fake company. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 128
You deserved it 5 015

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Socrates_fml 0

good catch, at least. imagine if you went and were scammed. THAT would have been a real FML. This is an FML with a bright side

Comments

@66 - as a military family member, it really pisses me off when people suggest the military in situations like this like everyone should just be using it as a fall back. people who don't take it seriously shouldn't try to join. those are the same people who drop out or get discharged because they can't hack it, and then spend the rest of their lives complaining about the military and making all of our admirable service members look bad. these men are heroes - and it degrades every one of them when someone signs up just for the money. besides - there are so many other people that are running to the military for their plan b, that they're really starting to cut back on recruitment. my husband is being called up to train at a boot camp because there are too many new soldiers and not enough active duty drill sgts. my stepbrother, pretty much a f*ck-up, was denied from the army, navy, and marines even though he had decent asvab scores because he was charged, but not convicted, of a crime - they're being THAT picky right now. to the OP - it sucks, but it's reality. You think 2 months is a long time? It took me 9 months before I got a job after college, and I graduated from a private liberal arts college with a 3.5. And my degree wasn't in some obscure field, it was in Advertising - which is one field that may be hurting right now, but is not nearly in such dire straits as others. Your GPA hardly matters anyway, thus why it's not even a field you'll find in most resume templates - all potential employers care about is the degree you earned and what skills you bring to the table. Just be patient - this whole sense of entitlement from newly graduating classes is vaguely annoying. We've long passed the days when jobs were handed out like candy on graduation day - and there are many other people out there suffering just as much, or probably worse, than you are.

i was salutatorian of my high school graduating class and rarely put effort into my school work. when i got to college, i had to struggle to get As. high school kids STFU.

angeldo6695 0

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, sorry, didnt feel like using my brain, sorry with i was being mean a week ago.....

kissmeimkati 0

3.5 at my school was a mix between As and Bs... in other words, a really good GPA. Well, I went to a pretty rigorous school academically. I don't know what college you guys went to (middle-schoolers need not comment, it's way different), but a 3.5 is nothing to sneeze at, even if it's not a 4.0 (which is VERY rare in college.) Hang in there, I'm in a similar boat. I HATE it.

3.5 GPA is great for college-level, but it's true - it all comes down to skills and experience, though illustrating that you were a motivated student may help initially when they see your resume. Is your resume impressive in terms of relevant experience and skills? Do you have personality? Are you enthusiastic about whatever job/field you want go into? I completely agree with #186. It saddens me to see so many graduating seniors simply shrug and use the economy as an excuse to not even TRY to look for any internships or jobs. :/ I'm not saying that everyone is guaranteed a job/internship if they look for one, but in my case, I was persistent in contacting various companies for internships and I got accepted to two already, waiting on another interview later this week.

nobody really needed to post after #35. he hit the nail on the head.

A 3.5 is a good college GPA despite the comments here. First of all, it is out of 4.0, and unlike your silly high school GPAs you can't go over 4.0 and no classes are weighed higher than others. A 3.5 is equal to half of all your grades being A and half of them being B. At most schools a 3.5 will get you a degree cum laude ("with distinction"). Of course, a 3.5 in Psychology at Smalltown State doesn't mean much to anyone.

College classes are definitely not all weighted the same. My classes have varied from one to five credits. Maybe at some colleges they weight them all the same, and definitely within some majors, but that's not always the case. This is why I, as a music major, take seven classes a quarter (1-3 credits each) while my English major friends take three classes a quarter (5 credits each) for roughly the same number of credits per quarter. When I was in high school, all my high school classes were weighted the same.

Get your grades up! :) I've had a 4.0 GPA since third grade. Undisrupted for four years!

kat1896 3

I'm pretty sure college is harder than the seventh grade.

kat1896 3

This is why you don't get a degree in something as easy as marketing.

Nicolan 1

Don't worry too much. I also ran into those scams thinking I couldn't get anything else. And now I am in the field I want to be in utilizing my degree. My advice is to be active in the field you want to be in, find out what professional organizations there are for your field and start networking. Also look into doing internships for in between. Networking is your best friend coming straight out of college ( I am in Human Resources and can say without a doubt, showing that you're active/interested in your field puts you leagues ahead of other applicants.) Also remember that when you're applying on sites like monster or indeed, due to EEO and affirmative action, employers are only going to look at like the first 20ish applications they get to avoid any charges of discrimination. Make sure you are on top of applying quickly and also after applying on monster or whatever, check their home website and see if you can't find the job on there and apply ( employers will see it as initiative and direct interest in their company which is huge for bonus points )