Nice try

By Journo - 27/04/2009 19:46 - United States

Today, after two months of unemployment, I got a call from a marketing firm offering me an interview for an entry-level position. While Googling the company, I discovered it's a scam. I graduated college in 3 years with a 3.5 GPA, and the only interview I can get is at a fake company. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 128
You deserved it 5 015

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Socrates_fml 0

good catch, at least. imagine if you went and were scammed. THAT would have been a real FML. This is an FML with a bright side

Comments

#179, it's true. it's all about connections.

I love how the high school kids come on here and talk like a 3.5 gpa isn't good. They give away A's in high school. Expect to work really hard for A's in college, especially if you're going to a college that is fairly well known. There is no such thing as "extra credit" in college kids. It is no longer possible to get higher than a 4.0 in college. Your A's in high school mean nothing. EVERYONE gets A's in high school. You'll struggle to get B's in high school unless you study like crazy. Your grade doesn't consist of a bunch of little homeworks and tests. It'll consist of pretty much two tests...so you have no room for messing up.

Ramcat07, I know a kid that is graduating in 3 years with a 3.7+ in economics at a good university. He has already been offered several jobs and honestly, from being in classes with him, he isn't that smart he just studies really hard. I have to agree with what a lot of people are saying here...if you have decent grades that's obviously a plus, but it is all about networking. So yes, there are definitely people graduating in 3 years and getting very good grades in majors that are known to be more difficult. They are really ambitious people and will most likely get ahead in life because of it. So saying things like you are and trying to put them down when it is probably YOU that is getting the sociology degree doesn't make you look any cooler than you did before you posted.

Agreed with what a lot of people are saying, 3.5 is great so hush your mouth people.

Maybe you should've stayed in school longer to get a masters. Nobody gets any decent job with just a bachelor anymore. BTW, you graduating in three years with a 3.5 is no big deal; the grades are good, but there are too many people doing just as well and better than that. Grades are just numbers; one bad flu, a computer crash, or a single mistake could screw up your GPA, just as good luck might boost it up. More than GPA, you need to prove you have the proper skills, initiative, and experience.

All you middle-school, high-school ignorant ***** need to reread the actual FML. He said he had a 3.5 in COLLEGE. You "4.0" high school students are just proving to the rest of us what actual morons you really are. And why is it still going on to almost 200 comment posts where you teen children haven't read the rest of the comments to learn that a 3.5 is awesome in college (whether it's 2-yr or 4-yr)? #153, where the hell do YOU go? You're the odd ball out of this lot. 3.4 is probation??? Maybe you failed one term -- that generally puts someone on academic probation until they do better the next term.

In college, I have had many professors who claim that they will base their grades off of a 2.6. The middle students in the class, on the spectrum of grades they earn, will be given a 2.6. If they are above the median, they will earn above a 2.6 respectively. If they are below, they will earn below a 2.6, respectively. In college, for any major that is not an arts/english ish major, the average gpa per class (yes, the students really are working their asses off) is a 2.7 or so. Professors will inform you of this at the beginning of the quarter/semester. This is to weed out anyone that can not/will not/should not be able to handle this incredible work load. Not everyone can be allowed to succeed greatly in college, or else everyone could be a doctor, lawyer etc. Above a 3.0 in many classes is exceptional. 3.5 GREAT in college. Wait, what are you saying? Hold on.. if what you're about to say contains anything with the words highschool or middleschool in it, and it has to do with how easy a 3.5 is, b/c you earned a 4.0 in 8th grade social studies and had fiestas in spanish class, just stop right there and shut the HELL up. Let's all keep in contact, shall we? You can all inform us of how you're doing in 6 years or so.

bananafish87 0

As someone who just graduated with a 3.2 and currently employed, I can honestly tell you that in the working world your college, degree, and grades for the most part, DO NOT matter and most employers DO NOT really care about that other than for HR formality and wage determination. What they do care about is work experience, personal skills, dependability, and integrity. You may have gone to a good school and earned good grades, but if you have no work experience (either in the form of an intership or actual part or full time employment in a related field or company), then you're no better than an individual who has no degree but years of revelvant experience. In fact, they may choose not to hire you over the other hypothetical person mentioned since they'd have to spend much more time training you before you're of any use. Also, don't expect to get what you want right out of college. You may have to take jobs you don't really want or have to open up your options (you may have to accept a lower starting wage than desired too). Just think of those jobs as an opportunity to develop experience and show desired employers that you are capable of performing a given job as expected. Undergrad college nowadays is not that valuable by itself, even before the recession became apparent. For me, my degree is just a bump in wage and allows me to work more complex assignments (my degree is also completely irrelevant). If I had not already been working with my company part time for almost 2 years now I probably would be struggling to find employment too. Either way, I'm also going for my master's in the fall while working (my master's degree will be much more important for work). Grad school could also buy you time to wait for the job market to improve as well as increasing your job skills and employment options. That's my take.

collegegrad2009 0

Im graduating from my university in a week and I will have a 3.9, I really need to start looking harder because most of the companies I have contacted or meet at our job fair aren't currently hiring. Many of the companies I have dealt with won't even talk to you if you don't have at least a 3.0. But grades aren't everything, you do need to have some personality. But even if you lack on personality you still won't get an interview if you don't have grades unless you know a guy who knows a guy that can put in a really good word for you.

reidzen 0

Look at it this way. Help is always wanted somewhere. If you're American, the Armed Forces are hiring non-combatant positions pretty much 'round the clock, and they need intelligent folks working at desks. Paramedics are rarely out of work, and the same goes for firemen. Americorp/Peace Corps, and even teachers have steady work, if you're willing to take a small pay cut for the latter. Oil and gas workers are needed out west, along with farm hands during the summer. If you really want to make a killing, get an electricians license. In times like these, finding your perfect job is a distant second to making ends meet and getting work. If I can't find a decent gig in heavy civil contracting (my major) then I'm going for a paramedic license.