Nice try

By Journo - 27/04/2009 19:46 - United States

Today, after two months of unemployment, I got a call from a marketing firm offering me an interview for an entry-level position. While Googling the company, I discovered it's a scam. I graduated college in 3 years with a 3.5 GPA, and the only interview I can get is at a fake company. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 128
You deserved it 5 015

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Socrates_fml 0

good catch, at least. imagine if you went and were scammed. THAT would have been a real FML. This is an FML with a bright side

Comments

ok so i got bored reading all of these comments but to everyone saying companies only hire 4.0 GPAs and a 3.5 will mean you're unemployed forever... think things through for a second: if companies ONLY take top 10%, what do you think they'll do when all the top 10% people have found jobs? not hire because you're not top 10? think again. and high school kids shouldn't even have access to the internet, they'd look smarter that way. anyway, i have 3 more law finals to study for, i don't know why i'm wasting my time here lol.

Welcome to the real world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All you kids think you can go in and get a degree and walk out and get a job. Guess what? Having a degree isn't that special anymore. They want a degree AND experience. OH and who gives a shit about your GPA. Honestly the companies could care less that you know how to study for an exam. Your GPA is for college, not for the real world. Atty is right. companies could care LESS about your GPA. You're all just ill informed youngsters. Newsflash - you're graduating college in a failing economy where there are people with 10 years experience and masters degrees who are struggling for work. You REALLY think someone is gonna give a shit about your 3.5 or 4.0 GPA? NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're gonna want to know you are mroe than book smart (sounds like that is all the OP is) and that you are willing to do the work to get ahead.... which may mean interning right out of college and working second jobs to pay the bills while you gain valueable experience. GO OUT. Get experience. quit trying to get the highest paying job in the exact field you want. It doesnt work like that. I wanted to go into arts/entertainment marketing.... I had to push papers as a marketing coordinator for a tiny bs phone company where i was underpaid. After I got my experience I was able to get the job i wanted.

#22. You're definitely in middle school considering you can't do basic math. Are you surei t was science you failed? A = 4 pts B = 3 pts C = 2 pts D = 1 pts F = 0 Straight Cs would be a 2.0 (the average of all your grades), Straigh Bs would be a 3.0. So say the OP is taking Four courses a semester... and got 2 As and 2 Bs. Their GPA would be a 3.5. It means they have a B+/A- average.

About halfway down got sick of reading debate about grading scales. On a 4.0 scale, grades are the following: 4.0 - A 3.67 - A- 3.33 - B+ 3.0 - B 2.67 - B- 2.33 - C+ 2.0 - C 1.67 - C- 1.33 - D+ 1.0 - D .67 - D- Below - F And to the OP - that's just life right now because we are in the middle of a recession. It is actually easier to find a job right now (though admittedly not a good one) if you don't have a degree. Be happy that you did the research and didn't get screwed by the scam.

#77... if the grade is between an A- and a B+ how would that make it an A? An A is better than an A- and obviously better than a B+, so between the both of them it would most likely be an A-. But it doesn't really matter because the GPA system isn't based on the letter grades, so we can't be so accurate. But yea, 3.5 is .5 away from being a 4.0, so it's really not bad. And as other people mentioned the economy sucks, so it is pretty tough to get a job. Wish you and many others well, OP.

secretsxsecrets 0

isnt the economy just great there are so many jobs available *sarcasm*

let me guess. ur talking about vector marketing? i actually work there, and have made a lot of money. but we always get retards like you saying were a scam because of some crap on the internet. so sucks for you, dumbass, might want to try and get that interview back.

No joke, this could have been my exact post 3 months ago... I graduated in 3 yrs with the same GPA form a big 10 school only I went to the interview 2.5 hrs away before finding out it was a scam. I went back for the second interview the next day to make sure it was infact a scam and the people there were trying to get me to go on a ride along to businesses to "check if they were in complience and had labor law posters up." I have been the GM for a business for 2 yrs and while it is infact a law to have labor posters up, I have never heard of a marketing company having the authority to check the "employee only" areas to insure complience... At least you didn't waste 2 days of paid work to go to the interview... Keep lookin, something will pop up!

starkric2008 0

haha are you talking about Vector? I wanna let you know that you're really smart. NOT. I'm definitely gonna make over 20grand with them in the next 3 months and my friend just made 2grand last Saturday and Sunday. Hope you feel smart.

#80: I would go to that college. You're awesome.