Stay at home

By allidoiswrkwrkwrknomttrwht - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff

Today, I found out my request to have off on Thanksgiving for the first time in 6 years was denied, because I work the evening shift every year on Thanksgiving and that's convenient for everyone else. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 697
You deserved it 824

Top comments

Have you considered looking for a new job? I'd love to see an update where you find new job, put in two weeks notice in plenty of time before Thanksgiving, and end up with something better! That really does bite.

I feel you OP! I work in fast food, and I'm always working late shifts on Friday and Saturday nights. Ya know, when people are out partying and what not.

Comments

Call in sick 1 or 2 days before thanksgiving and have yourself a deserved day off.

mariri9206 32

Respectfully, tell them you've worked that day, without complaint, for six years and that you requested it off, at least, about a month in advance and the least they could do is honor that. They should have just given you the day you requested off in the first place but explain that you've worked it for six years, that you requested it off and deserve it off this year. Give them a chance to fix it and change the schedule before doing anything else. If they don't, then tell them you're just not coming in that day and then start looking for other jobs that will respect you instead of respecting everyone else over you.

CliffyB03 28

Are you feeling ill? Did you wake up throwing up on the day you were scheduled to work? Damn shame

Do what my co worker does. Say **** em..tell them when you'll work and maybe show up on those days. He hasn't been disciplined yet

My job doesn't even let you request off for thanksgiving. My store is attached to a mall and the mall has decided to close this year, but my store is opening at FOUR. We are all outraged. We opened at 6 last year and last year, the mall was actually open!

How are you guys (and shoppers) even supposed to get in the store if the mall is closed?

coius 23

Not every mall is an indoor shopping mall, and the ones that do have anchor stores at the end with their own entrance. A dead mall in Omaha, NE has a target as an anchor store, but Target closed the entrance to the mall part due to the mall going under (target built and owns the anchor store building and therefore isn’t officially mall property), so it can be open and running despite mall being closed. Outdoor strip malls all have accessible doors to the stores. The official mall hours/dates can be different than each store, but it’s only a formality as it means most, if not all stores, will carry the same open to close hours in uniformity. If this is the type of mall he’s in, the store can be open while others closed, since they do not rely on a common entrance point. It also helps with security as if cars are parked while after hours, they can be ticketed/investigated/towed for being parked during closure for trespassing.

Slim_Skeeter 6

Take a stand. I would have (and have) told my boss that "You can approve or deny it all you like, this is me letting you know I'm not going to be here in plenty of time for you to make adjustments"

I work at a college dining hall. They have a celebration around 2 weeks before, then the week of any holiday they are closed to most but a select few who are from different countries here for college.

Don't feel bad, I have practice on thanksgiving. But it is probably worse than you. Sorry