By cAtaLanbLoOd - 24/10/2013 06:06 - France - Perpignan

Today, a homeless guy asked me for a cigarette. Knowing that I only had a couple left in my pack, I gave it to him. He opened it, took one out and thanked me profusely. A bit surprised, I went on my way. Oh yes, that's right, the pack contained the money I'd withdrawn from an ATM. FML
I agree, your life sucks 387
You deserved it 319

Top comments

Thank you too. He probably never thought that smoking would help him out so much.

Comments

At least he can buy his own cigarettes now.

the man needs it more than you. just think about good karma coming your way

So you wouldn't mind giving money like that? You don't know how much OP had in that case; it could've been hundreds. I wouldn't just tell myself "He needs it more, it's okay"

Yeah. What if it was OPs money for rent and food? What if the homeless guy is really a fake and just wants to buy coke with it? (I'm not saying those are true), but the first one more likely is, because if he didn't need the money, this wouldn't be an fml and he'd be keeping it in his wallet. Don't be so quick to jump on people.

not every homeless man uses drugs. he could use some money. the guy doesnt even have a home.

I've worked with the homeless for years and I would have to say the most homeless people will take any drug they can get their hands on just to escape the realities of street life. While not every homeless person uses drugs or seeks out drugs because they have a habit or addiction; if it offered most will take them up on the offer. A fair percentage need to be medicated too but can't or won't get their meds. This makes taking street drugs much more common.

And what if the money WAS OP's rent? What if this is now a risk to OP not having a home in the near future?

I'm sorry but even if he technically needed money more than I do, that is still MY money that I needed for something for myself. It would not make me feel better to be told that it was a good deed bc that's still food, gas, or bills that won't get paid for so now I'm in a bind. I'd be pissed at myself if I was stupid enough to do this.

I gotta say, the OP appears to have a sense of humour about the whole thing. I think if the mistake were that devastating, and he's gonna lose his home or end up starving, one of his first thoughts wouldn't be to post it on FML.

awwh that's very unfortunate...but think of all the wonderful drugs the homeless guy will be able to buy with your money ;)

because all homeless people do drugs. i do feel sorry for OP because they might habe needed it for rent or food. op didnt tell how much money (s)he had. but its also good for the homeless guy because at least he can buy himself food or something hopefully good karma will come back to you op

have* didnt notice my spelling mistakes until now. damn it phone

You gave a guy in a tough situation a break, OP. Look at it that way and hopefully you'll feel better. :)

That's super nice OP :) don't worry it's just money you can make more!

DrownedMyFish 18

What if OP needed the money for something important? That could have been OP's money for rent or food.

Indeed, everybody keeps saying how good it is without thinking OP might be in trouble now. Also, I wonder how many of those people who say it's a good thing actually give homeless people money themselves..

You are correct I don't just give money.... but I do give my time and food. I try to find the positive however.... My attitude is money is just money.... There's more to be made. I bet I get more thumbs down but that is okay. Aiming for double digits :)

57- the problem with money is that you can't exactly "just make more." I hate the saying "it's just money," it may not be as important as things like family but you still need money

57, you sound like a person who has had everything handed to them. Money is ******* crucial and not everyone can "just make more." Just saying.

Oooo that sucks OP. I know my dad does the same thing when he forgets his wallet or something. Hopefully it wasn't a lot of money and you can feel good about helping a guy out!