By TwirlyWhirl - 09/11/2015 08:17 - United States - Cincinnati

Today, at a bar, I overheard two attractive men speaking in French. I went over and tried to introduce myself with what little French I know. They looked at me like I was crazy and then said in English, "What are you doing?" Turns out they weren't speaking French. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 165
You deserved it 10 264

TwirlyWhirl tells us more.

Hey everyone, OP here. This actually happened a few months ago when I was studying abroad in Dublin, Ireland. Yes, I had already had a few drinks. I was also with several other study abroad students who were from Spain and Italy and everyone unanimously agreed that the two men were speaking French. It probably didn't help that we weren't very close to them and it was loud in the bar. The two men were actually from Denmark and they were speaking Danish. I definitely learned my lesson never tried to do anything like that again.

Top comments

Quendolin 24

The awkwardness that came up thereafter was strong enough to kill a small to medium-sized dog!

Just pretend to be French and maybe they will be into it?

Comments

teube < that's French for dumbass....XD

Teubé* It is the "verlan" (reversed word) of "bête", which would translate to "dumb". It's close to "dumbass", but there is a slight difference.

Indeed, without the accent at the end it sounds like the reverse pronunciation for "bite" (pronounce "beet") which means dick in french. And not as in "that guy is a dick".

silly rabbit, trix r fer kids. hoping to get a little French action? hmm? you are naughty

Should have just continued speaking French to avoid the imminent awkwardness

I think they were playing a prank on you, they spoke french and then pretended like they actually spoke English when you wanted to talk to them

I had a near identical experience. I was climbing Machu Picchu when two of the most beautiful men I've ever seen in my life approached me, speaking in Spanish. "I'm sorry," I replied, "I don't speak Spanish." "We know," one of them said, "We're speaking English." Their accents were so think I didn't realize they were speaking my native tongue to me. I paused for a moment, mortified, then said, "Bye!" and ran away. What a smooth operator I am.

that is completely hilarious but unfortunate.

I think it's pretty easy to mix up some languages. I tend to listen for sounds that are used and then for words I might know. And even with those two steps it's very easy to get some mixed up considering many languages develop from similar roots and borrow from each other.

So how can you put your foot in your mouth when the other ones already there