By mr1234 - 05/03/2014 21:37 - United States - North Weymouth

Today, every "entry level" job in my field is now requiring 2-5 years experience. I don't think they understand what "entry level" actually means. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 834
You deserved it 3 375

mr1234 tells us more.

Thanks for the support and encouragement everyone, it's nice to know that I wasn't totally degraded for something that's been extremely frustrating. I'm very lucky the currently have a full time job (A supervisory position, at 24, as a woman!). And for those wondering, my field is business administration. i have a Bachelor's degree and plenty of legitimate work experience, just not experience that is directly related to what they want. so *whoosh* in the trash goes my resume!

Top comments

samimarie199 22

Jobs these days expect more than they say they do so... Like the saying goes "no job no experience, no experience no job". Good luck op

Comments

I found entry level meant "Entry Level as long as you did an apprenticeship"....That truly sucks. Hope you find employment in your field soon. FYL

I took SAP ABAP Certification. Got 94% in SAP Global Certification. Still no job since I took the exam which was 2 months ago.

Yes it's true I went to an interview yesterday and the girl said it was entry level but also mentioned all the requirements they were looking for

It's the lousy economy. So many people with education and experience have to take "entry level" jobs because that's all there is, which leaves no jobs for the inexperienced and uneducated.

Unfortunately those usually don't pay (or pay well) and people looking for jobs usually actually need ones that pay. I know when i was looking for a new job after being laid off, i could have gotten intern jobs (maybe) but i had bills and i couldn't pay those while being an intern.

Apply anyways, alot of jobopenings have high expectations in them to prevent lower educated people from sending their resume.. (not sure if this makes sense, first language is Dutch) :p

Good advice! It's the same in Germany. Just call them and ask if it's an absolute no-go for the job, if you don't have any work experience. If they say it's not, well then apply...if they say it is just try the next one.

Coming from the recruitment side most "qualifications required" sections are mainly the hiring manager's ideal. The hired candidate likely won't have all those bullet points. But they'll have some or most. If you're missing things such as experience really emphasize in your cover letter any experience that may be transferable and make that connection clear. Don't assume the person reading your resume will make assumptions of your experience. Spell it out in other words.

TheDrifter 23

And note any hobbies or long term commitments, even the not work related ones. Six years of cadets, a black belt in kick boxing or even 3 years on your high school swim team will earn you more respect from me (in my professional hiring position) than a string of 4 month terms of employment in the field.

toastedbagel14 3

I know exactly what you mean. I'm finding myself increasingly frustrated finding an entry-level job when all the jobs require experience. So if I don't have experience and you require experience, where the hell am I supposed to go for said experience? I feel like I'm trying to merge in a ever turning roundabout that never slows.

Epikouros 31

Duh, you're supposed to get experience at another company, not ours. Stupid kids don't understand anything about the real world nowadays. :-)

I don't think you're aware of how ignorant your comment was.

If someone wants a job that bad, they can do it. Question is do they want to