By Anonymous - 19/04/2016 02:43 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I got a ticket for being drunk in public. I was walking a couple of blocks from the bar to my house, because I didn't want to drive drunk. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 571
You deserved it 2 706

Same thing different taste

Top comments

zebra3_fml 7

Welcome to America 2016. The police don't want to help you, they just want to throw the book at you. Two decades ago, that cop would have walked you the one block to your house and told you to sleep it off.

that's the FSM's way of telling you that you should have stayed at the bar and gotten plastered

Comments

Big_D_Real 12

Unless you were acting like a fool, I would fight it.

Drunk in public!!!! How is that even a violation of anything??? Seems the police officer was drunk!!

Seriously? You can't think of any reason why being drunk in public is an offense?

Used to piss me off when officers would bring people to jail for public intoxication when they were walking home from the bar. Getting a ticket for that sucks too. To me, as long as you aren't urinating, being a public nuisance, or causing damage or being a danger to others, I'd much rather someone walk if they've been drinking. I would challenge the ticket if it were me just on principal. Seems like a catch 22, all these commercials warning against driving drunk but then they get you anyway. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sorry, OP.

It seems to me op must have been doing something wrong to stand out, otherwise how did the cop single him out?

askullnamedbilly 33

A lot of cops have quotas they have to fulfill. Maybe that one saw OP was walking home alone in the dark, deduced they probably were drinking, and stopped by to see if they could smell any alcohol. Or, you know, they were walking a bit funny.

False there are no "quotas". Just like any job you have to show you are actually doing your job by doing actual activities. You know since tax payers pay our salaries. However, this can be from warnings, taking to the public, responding to calls and yes arrests and tickets. However, most jurisdictions do not have quotas, nor does the money generally go directly to the police department. Just FYI. I know, mind blown. Just for example: for a traffic, I make $300 to come in on overtime because it's on a day off, while I'm sleeping and they are required to pay me for a minimum of 4 hours. The judge reduces the fine, even if you are guilty, meaning every ticket I give, costs the city almost double. So it is not a money making scheme, it's to save lives.

Falling asleep in the bushes probably didn't help.

KingAdrock 16

There are no *official* quotas, as most states have laws against them. There are however plenty of jurisdictions that have quotas by some other name. Whenever crime is down instead of being glad for it, the police go crazy on trivial, consensual and victimless "crimes". There's a reason in the US they're called "law enforcement officers" not "peace officers". Their job is expressly not to help anyone, just to enforce laws.

I'm sure you could fight that honestly, that's really unfair as you did the right thing.. sorry OP!

I'm going to say that your life sucks but you prolly deserved it. You can't be rude to a cop, they'll get you for whatever they want, whenever they want.

It didn't but OP is also the one who wrote it, so we don't know details of their interaction. We can't say for sure either way

If you are holding a drink in hand while walking then its a valid ticket otherwise you can negate that in court.

Actually, no. It depends on your behavior. If you act like an ass in public and it turns out you're drunk, it is a valid ticket.

Actually,no. Public intoxication isn't illegal everywhere. Having open alcohol in the car isn't even illegal in Missouri(as long as it's not the drivers,of course). So people should be able to walk down the side walk with a beer.

Tell it to the judge and I'll bet he lets you off.

I use to do the same thing all the time, it's sucks they hit you with that... odd if you were not causing any disturbances.

As long as you are not causing a disturbance, that shouldn't be a prob. The things cops will come up with to stop people