By divorcee - 06/09/2012 03:27 - Canada - Saint Albert

Today, I got back to work. Last week, my divorce was finalized and my last name is, once again, my maiden name. Since I'm a teacher, all my students will remember me by my ex-husband's last name. I get to be reminded every day that my marriage failed until everyone memorizes my maiden name. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 099
You deserved it 4 086

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sucks for you, OP. but do they have to call you by name every time? Can't they just say 'miss' ?

A100893 30

Have them call you Ms. (Whatever letter your ex-husband's name started with) that way it isn't as painful.

Comments

I'm so sorry OP. I am actually going through the exact same thing only I'm just a substitute teacher. I have several campuses that know me with my ex-husband's name, and now I am going by my maiden name. Just be happy you have a classroom of your own with the same students everyday.

this happened to one of my teachers! sooo sadd

MissKrissy 5

Umm in my family, I have yet to see someone change her name back after a divorce. Maybe we're odd, but everyone has said 'it's easier to not have to change everything'. My papa actually cheated on nana repeatedly and she hates him, but she kept his last name after the divorce.

If it's easier not to change anything, why did they change it when they got married?

Because that's how marriage works. You take your husband's name. It's tradition. Also, it's the GRANDPARENTS we're talking about. Imagine the scandalized reactions back then. "Oh my God, she didn't take his last name! I bet she's trying to sneak around behind his back." Yeah, it's no good.

Joerav 2

Once you get used to a teacher's name, it's really hard to call them something else. Sorry though.

ellytoad 13

I had a teacher in high school who got married. The name change seemed to be quite clear. Give it time, it'll sink into daily thought for good.

I guess that's why all of my teachers have always used their maiden name when in school.

Um a lot of women keep there last name when they get married, u don't HAVe to keep his last name.

Quit being a whinner. No wonder you got divorced.

I can't tell if you're trying to troll and failing at it or if you're just stupid

I find this rude and disrespectful. You don't know the reason why OP got divorced, there's no reason to be a half-assed dick about it. Andre this is FML, honey. People come to whine all the time.

OMG! Get over it! Divorces happen, it doesn't mean you're a failure or that you have anything to be sad about. Just get on with life and eventually, everyone will get used to your new name! Don't you realize the same thing happens to newly married people? They get called by the old name until everyone adjusts! You'll live!

kittycat2007 18

My post never showed. :( I said that she should make a game out of it. Maybe offer a piece of candy for those who can remember her new name. A week of that and they will have it memorized in no time.