By Godsfavourite - 14/09/2011 05:42 - Australia

Today, I got kicked off the train because I refused to stand for an old lady who wanted to sit down. There was an empty seat right next to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 894
You deserved it 7 296

Godsfavourite tells us more.

Godsfavourite 4

The train had those seats that run parallel with the walls of the train, not the window and aisle seats. And I tell you know that the lady was just one of those people that looks down their nose at most youth. I was in no way disrespectful to her and when I pointed out the seat next to me and she went and told the security guards that I refused to stand up for her. It's messed up, man. OP

Top comments

saIty 17

That's right, fight for your damn chair. We can't let the elderly win at everything.

Comments

What a bitch!! Although you could have just moved to the other seat to shut her up, but you had every right to remain sitting down, it was in no way your fault.

Exactly.. All the ppl supporting the old lady make no sense... She should have sat in the open seat.

What is this, the sixties? I thought we were over this.

Arya1990 7

Over respecting our elders? I certainly hope not!

ramboman19 8

How is not giving up your seat disrespectful to your elders?

Umm, because they would have to stand...?

But she wouldn't have had to stand; the OP said there was a seat right next to her. Maybe OP was being an edgehog, in which case, she should have moved the hell over and let the old lady have the aisle seat.

Don't you hate how rude the elderly are at times, yet complain about how today's youth don't respect them? Derp I wonder why?

Yes, thank you No. 16, you said exactly what I was thinking. Some elderly folks believe the mere fact that they are elderly gives them license to shit on those younger than they are, but expect to have their asses kissed by those same people. Just last week I was waiting in line to be seated at a restaurant and an old man came in, saw the line, stormed to the front and demanded to be seated immediately. When the hostess, a teenager, told him she couldn't do that, he called her a "Goddamn little shit" who needed to "learn to respect her elders." Some of the old farts use the 'respect your elders' line to get preferential treatment but of course by demanding preferential treatment they are, in fact, being disrespectful themselves.

69 - seriously ?! hopefully they kicked him out. elderly or not.

No. 96, the teenager obviously became flustered and upset at being cussed at by the old man, so I hunted down the manager, who told the old man that his language and behavior was not acceptable and he needed to either wait his turn in an orderly fashion or leave. The old man had the nerve to lie and say it didn't happen but everyone in line was so disgusted that we all called him on it. He gave us the finger with both hands and left. The teen was not a smart-alec. She was very courteous when she told him she could not allow him to line jump and she certainly did not deserve to be called a "Goddamn little shit." No gentleman would speak to a young lady in such a manner. Really, what is the world coming to?

Thank you bankrupt for proving that the "respect your elders" rule shoudnt apply in situations like this.

Glad to know you did the right thing. With all the "wisdom" they obtained all these years, you'd think most of the elderly would remember to give respect to earn it... Wait, guess not.

The thing that bothered me the most about this entire episode is that you just know that if someone spoke to that old fart's granddaughter the way he spoke to that young lady, the old man would have gone apeshit on that person, but it was OK for him to do it to someone else's granddaughter. Also, this nasty old crab had no problem acting this way in front of a room full of people and expected us to side with him when the manager confronted him. So we were supposed to lie for him because he's old and she's young? That poor girl was near tears and she did nothing wrong, nothing at all. If we expect teens to respect their elders, then I think that starts with us older folks leading by example and acting respectfully toward teens.

Gargoyle123 2

Well did you at least get a refund for missing your train?

sarahmcgeee 5

the train people dont care. op is sol

You couldn't move over one seat? If she made that big a deal, just do it.

These old people are given so much, senior discounts, handicap parking, breaks on everything. Some appreciate it. Yet others like your friend really try to literally get away with murder. And the sad thing is that they usually do. Good luck buddy, take a cab next time. You probably will never win.

So true, No. 33. This current crop of seniors in the US will receive the most in Social Security benefits while having paid the least into the program. My age group is paying the most but the program will be bankrupt by the time we are old enough to receive benefits (no, that's not why 'bankrupt' is my nick). So I am tolerating the asshole behavior of these old ***** WHILE I am working to pay my taxes so they can get a check and health care. So many of them are so unappreciative of the fact that the rest of us work and they're idle (I once saw an old man push a young woman out of his way so he could beat her to the line at the pharmacy, what was his hurry, he's unemployed, she was wearing a uniform and had to get back to work). Even worse, they resent me because my daughter is in a wheelchair, which entitles us to handicapped parking, seating, etc. Those handicapped 'goodies' are for THEM, not a handicapped little girl. Trust me, I would be overjoyed if my girl were normal and those old bastards could have the blasted handicapped parking space. But you would all be surprised and disgusted at how many times a senior citizen took one look at my kid and got all pissed off because our wheelchair trumped their age in the 'entitlement' sweepstakes. I don't want to be entitled. I want to have a kid who can walk and doesn't have developmental delays. Those old farts already had more in their lives than my kid ever will but that isn't enough for them. They have to get pissed off at her while we are offloading her from the van because she sucked up their parking spot.