By hungry - 13/10/2013 05:23 - United States

Today, I heard that there was supposed to be a huge blizzard heading our way, so I went out to stock up on groceries. After spending $600 on food, I drove home and packed most of it into the fridge and freezer just in time for our power to go out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 815
You deserved it 26 619

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you supposed to buy food that can be stored and doesn't perish at room temperature when a storm heads your way?

if it's cold enough to snow, put all the stuff outside

Comments

if it's cold enough to snow, put all the stuff outside

It might have been a better idea if he bought canned food instead... YDI for not thinking properly before spending that much money

my thoughts exactly. leave everything in an animal proof container outside or in a garage. besides if your power went out, you probably won't have heat either. voila. huge refrigerator.

I don't know where you are, OP, but I live in the States as well and there aren't any blizzards expected over here. Especially not any that would require $600 worth of food.

this is what Canadians do with beer in the winter. well, THIS Canadian

To be honest you should have expected the power to go out if is a blizzard

In most blizzards the power doesn't go out. We often get blizzards with blowing snow and white-out conditions on the roads (if you can find them) and 40-50cm of snow. But the power going out is much rarer than that. It's just that it takes a day or so after the stop of the snowfall to dig your way out.

Might've been an even better idea to buy a generator

You just brought back some memories. When I lived in Indiana we used to stock up on Pepsi and keep the excess stock on the porch where it is cold enough to keep it at appropriate drinking temperature but warm enough it wouldn't ice up.

tjv3 10

Pack the freezer with snow or pack the food in snow. Other than that you should have stocked up on non perishable food items. That's survival 101

I live up north and we use our garage as a second fridge/freezer in the winter!

wysegirl 24

that's the truth.. it's what we used to do for events in school years ago to get our drinks cold.. plus if there is a blizzard good chances you will lose power so normally you buy nonperishable items...

grashopper8 7

I've done this. SUCKS!! You'll never do it again. Peanut butter for liiiiife ;)

please don't ever do that agaaaaaaaaaaaain

I hope you realize its just as annoying when you do it.

nightowl713 25

I understand that a blizzard can keep you in for a few days, but long enough to require 600 worth of groceries? Unless you live with an usual amount of people, there is no reason to stock up that much food. Especially foods that will ruin in the event of a power outage. Emergency foods are usually non-perishables; canned food, dried food, you know stuff that doesn't go bad..

My parents spend damn near $100 on food a week, #82. Now that there is 4 people living in the house, it's almost $130. Prices are also ridiculous - much more expensive if you're eating healthy! The $100 worth of food usually gets us through for two weeks, but other times it doesn't. I can't really say why they bought $600 worth of food, but sometimes it can be necessary in a blizzard.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you supposed to buy food that can be stored and doesn't perish at room temperature when a storm heads your way?

Yep, this FML is a YDI for sure. Getting canned goods and other non-perishables is survival 101.

Unless you have a generator. Then you buy fuel along with groceries.

JMichael 25

You would think so, but people tend to lose their common sense when they go into a panic.

13- I'm guessing because of how op worded it you assumed all of the stuff was refrigerated. It doesn't all have to be refrigerated.

Also still a YDI, OP could very well be living in a place that does not see blizzards very often, and thus does not have experience with them. A few years ago a blizzard blew through Texas and made it to the gulf coast. The Caribbean isn't a typical place for that, and OP could be in a similar position.

Twonty2 6

There wouldn't have been a problem in that case.

Not only that, but even for a large family $600 is an insane amount of food, especially for what should be being in this situation (staples and non-perishables as opposed to luxury cuts of steak or cases of expensive beverages). if OP lives in an area where storms can trap you for weeks at a time they should know better.

A blizzard in October? Glad I don't live where you do. Maybe if your refrigerator has an ice maker, manually scoop some into a cooler and try to fit as many easily spoilable foods as you can in there? Or get a little generator to just power the refrigerator?

Llama_Face89 33

Even small generators cost thousands.

Llama_Face89, a small generator of roughly 1500 watts (enough to power a refrigerator's starting power requirement and possibly a small appliance) is about $200-$300 USD, depending on the model and brand. A 3500-watt generator (powers most of an average house) is anywhere from $350 to $550 USD, also depending on the model and brand. I don't know if those prices vary from the United States to Canada.

JMichael 25

Where I live it happens often. Luckily people here know to expect a weather change at any given moment. So we're always prepared for the worst.

fucMyLifeSoHard 18

#7 What ******* generators are you buying?

I just have a natural gas generator that powers the whole house.

JMichael 25
sssayesss 5

You do realize that while the Northern Hemisphere has summer, the Southern hemisphere has winter right? It is currently autumn in the N.H. and spring in the S.H. Often times in the winter it is too cold to snow, when the weather starts to warm up to 0*C (32*F) it will snow or rain (when above the freezing/melting temp).

I accidentally thumbs upped your comment.

Unionbay47 10

Become a bear, eat all that you can, and go into hibernation! Sorry that happened to you OP!

JMichael 25

This chick has the right idea. Transform into a ******* bear and everything will be ok!

There are very few situations that could not be improved by transforming into a bear.

#117 there are no situations that can't be solved by transforming into a bear

I hope you have some food that doesnt have to be refrigerated! but that sucks. Sorry op.

Llama_Face89 33

If it was a huge blizzard it would probably be safe to assume beforehand that you'd lose power. Lack of foresight on your part OP.

evan_7899 28

And now you have 600 $ worth of materials to make a fort with before shit hits the fan

I'm wondering how long this blizzard was supposed to last, needing $600 worth of anything. We spend less than that on groceries for a month. OP, if you don't open the fridge/freezer doors most of the food should stay good for a while, especially if the heat is out too.

amayasoma 19

If blizzards are a reoccurring thing, you should of kind of expected this. Plus, with any storm, it's best to buy dry stock just in case of these incidents. At least you know for next time.

you didn't know it could knock the power out? well, live and learn. (and eat it all!)

It just occurred to me that OP probably can't eat it all...at least not the stuff in the freezer. The food will be frozen and he won't have power to use the microwave or oven unless he happens to have a gas stove. Otherwise, he'll just have to wait until the food gets to room temperature and is all gross and soggy. Hopefully the power didn't stay out for too long for that to happen.