By bird-brain - 21/11/2009 12:19 - Germany

Today, I was at a zoo with some friends in Germany. People were talking to this bird and it responded in complete, grammatically correct German sentences. One of my friends said 'Wow, that bird has better grammar than the exchange student!' A bird speaks better German than me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 452
You deserved it 5 151

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well German isn't your native language, so obviously.

Haha no the bird just copies people it doesn't speak on it's own like you hve to. Good for you tho that you do know any German at all I suck at Spanish.

Comments

I'm in Japan, and I wouldn't be able to understand it if they said a birds gammar were better than mine. fMl. Be happy.

joemk2012 0

tell it, "Ruhe! Zuruck in dein Käfig!"

Why do you find this surprising? It's not an FML. Most birds* just learn to copy what they hear, so this bird has heard grammatically perfect sentences, so that's what it's going to repeat. You have to figure it out for yourself. (*The African Grey Parrot, or whatever it's called, has been known to be trained to form its own sentences and communicate properly, not just copy stuff it's heard).

It must have been a raven or something - because they've been known to not only repeat things they've heard like parrots, but even with accents, and mocking tones. Don't believe me? Search "talking raven"

choochootrain 0

If you wanna be picky, then it's " A bird speaks better English than I do," because you don't compare an action (verb) with an agent (pronoun). tl;dr: don't nitpick FMLs, it's not a copy-editing class.

LoL. PWNAGE. Oh, and sucks for you! :P

Most likely it was saying horrible things about your mother. It may speak better German than you, but I bet it also tastes better.

mmaariisaa 0

*A bird speaks better German than I.

That would be the case if the user said "A bird speaks better German than I do," but without the verb the "than" changes from a subordinating conjunction to a simple preposition. Sometimes "than I" is used with a kind of assumed "do" after, which is also fine--but as it stands, you are wrong for correcting her.

brianr09 0

for the love of god... please moderate these FMLs....

It's just trying to prove the superiority of the Avian race.

I was going to write something scathing, because this kind of FML pisses me off. But this is hilarious. Well Done