By ashleigh_anarchy - 21/02/2012 01:05 - Australia

Today, someone actually thought it was appropriate to compare my mother's death to the death of their cat. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 304
You deserved it 3 365

ashleigh_anarchy tells us more.

ashleigh_anarchy 7

Just to follow things up. It has only been a month since she passed away. She was pretty much my best friend. She had been sick for all of my life and I looked after her for as long as I remember. In the last three months she was completely bedridden. She was a very strong woman and was expected to live 20 years less than she did, but I absolutely couldn't believe it when she died because of how much she carried on and of course I cared about it more than anything. It was the hardest thing I've ever experienced, and am still experiencing. The cat in question was a stray cat, and I posted this because why the **** would I post an FML on the day she died? I can tell you now I was doing a lot more important things. This is my reaction to an idiot one month later, who said 'Sorry about your mum. I know how you feel, my cat died'. Nothing should be more important than the relationship with your mother. If you never got to have a good relationship with yours, I'm very sorry. But yeah, I have lost pets and I was distraught but NOTHING can compare. If you haven't lost a close parent, you can't imagine.

Top comments

that's terrible. i'm sorry OP. some people don't put things into perspective

Comments

LPfan4L 1

That's f***ed! I'm sorry, for that, and about your mom. People are dumb.. But at least she is in a better place, you'll get to be with her again someday.

wpage68 6
toobright 3

If you have a good relationship with someone that death is going to be worse than a pet. I have lost too many people and the pain is not comparable to losing a pet. I am sorry the person had an idiotic moment OP and so very very sorry for your lose.

You think burying your mom is hard, when she had been sick for so long, try burying your 6 month old child, who was completely healthy.

myjaspercat 2

i'm very sorry to hear that. but really, there's no reason to trivialize the OP's feelings of loss with your own. whether or not your loss is greater is irrelevant, everyone experiences grief and it's stupid and disrespectful to try and compete over who's the worst off.

Hey, I lost my Mum when I was 13 so I'm coming from a similar place to you. Don't listen to the dickheads on here telling you to be 'understanding' when it comes to idiots like that or who are trying to justify what they said. If you don't have the maturity to think before you say something, especially to someone so recently bereaved, you shouldn't say anything at all. Losing your Mum is such a profound loss, especially when you're young. Anyways, feel free to message me if you want to talk. - Jess x

myjaspercat 2

how about everyone shuts up and stops trying to compete over whose grief is the worst?

doglover100 28

I hate when people try to out you with their strory. It's not a competition

kitkat4949 7

Now that's just heartless.

Yea I know how you feel. When my brother died some chick compared it to her goldfish dying. People can be so insensitive.