Bon appétit

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - United States - Appleton

Today, I told my girlfriend I've been a vegetarian for 6 years. Hearing this, my mom said, "No, you're not. I fry your mushrooms and onions in bacon grease." With this new information, I've been a vegetarian for about 76 hours. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 439
You deserved it 10 059

Top comments

You didn't notice your food tasted like bacon for 6 years?

It's ok. My mom used to fry my stuff in vegetable oil to make me a vegetarian.

Comments

ardencred 7

In this world you have to cook your own food to be a true vegetarian

Who cares whether its from a plant or animal? Does it taste good and smell good? Eat it!

teh_doctor 4

Your thought process is eerily similar to my puppy's.

That's probably because dogs, like humans, are naturally omnivores.

Don't be too harsh on yourself OP, you couldn't have known! I've been vegetarian for some 14 years, and letting someone else cook for you always comes with a bit of a risk... Try calmly talking to your mom. It may be hard for her to comprehend how grossed out you are feeling, because eating animal products is probably something that has always come natural to her. It was the exact same way with my parents back when I still lived at home, but now when I go for sunday dinner they always prepare me a separate dish cooked in veggie oil. :) Good luck!

KM96 24

How could she do that to you?!

If being a vegetarian was that important to him, he should have cooked his own meals instead of making his mother do it for him.

I think technically you still are a vegetarian. There are many vegetarians who eat cheese and eggs and some who even eat fish or poultry. A vegetarian is someone who does not eat meat-- eating vegetables cooked in bacon grease is not eating meat. So unless you wanted to be VEGAN (which means you don't use animal products of any kind) I think bacon grease is ok.

Technically bones aren't meat either but that doesn't mean you'd find a vegetarian chewing on a bone. The grease comes from the meat, the meat comes from the animal, ergo the grease comes from the animal. Some might not think of it as quite as bad eating actual meat in this situation but it definitely isn't good and isn't a part of a vegetarian diet.

VampTat 10

A vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat ANY meat, including chicken and fish, and anything that comes from meat such as fat, grease, broth, etc. A VEGAN is someone who not only does not eat meat, but doesn't eat any ANIMAL by-products, such as milk or eggs. Some don't even eat honey.

1. How the heck did you not notice the bacon flavor? 2. If you're the only vegetarian in your family, you should be cooking for yourself. 3. You deserved it.

ezE22 0

Maybe if you cooked your own food like a big boy instead of letting mommy do it for you, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

this is why I don't let my mother cook my food

Epic. Bet your onions and mushrooms tasted awesome though.