Nice guy

By LucklessNiceGuy - 05/12/2011 07:22 - United States

Spicy
Today, I was fired from my job on account of "sexual harassment" toward female employees. The harassment? Jokingly offering them foot massages when they were complaining about how their feet ached after a long shift, and complimenting them about their appearance when they felt down. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 650
You deserved it 45 227

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Angelice_fml 0

Ouch, I'm really sorry. ): People take things too far these days.

drawmesunshine 17

Perhaps the male employees felt left out. Maybe at your next job, you should compliment their looks and offer them foot rubs, too. Think of this as a learning experience.

Comments

Maybe they thought you had some kind of weird foot fetish or something

YDI for not looking like Brad Pitt or George Clooney. It's not sexual harassment if the guys good looking, everyone knows that.

Dude. Would you offer the guys at your workplace foot massages? Would you compliment them on their appearances if they were feeling down? (Feeling down *about how they look* is a possible exception, but you didn't specify that). I suspect you wouldn't. Because, after all, that would seem gay. Because it would be hitting on guys. But you think hitting on girls in the workplace is OK? YDISM.

Reality_bites 14

So let me get this straight - you dont joke with the guys about giving them foot rubs and compliment them on their looks but its ok to do that to a female? Wow that's not sexual harassment at all (insert dripping sarcasm here) Why even joke around about such things? Its creepy. And unprofessional. So they complain about their feet hurting. Its not an invitation to make foot massage comments, however jokingly said. And its definitely not up to you to raise their self esteem, Im sure they are big enough to find someone else to give them a compliment if they need one. You just get known as that creepy guy that everyone tries to avoid.. . .

That was full of assumptions. You don't know he doesn't do that, you just know the girls were the ones who complained. On the blatantly obvious side, some things only apply to one gender over the other.

53 -- That's very black and white thinking as is the case when all too often people label behaviour as racist/sexist for any observation of some pattern in behaviour. Obviously this can lead to generalizations, however, without such a process (pattern identification/abstraction) humans would have never evolved into their current state. In this case it's quite simple: Humans abide by social laws; there's a social stigma around homosexuality. It's a reasonable assumption that a male offering another male physical intimacy will result in minimally an awkward situation. The reason for it being awkward is irrelevant. Don't get me wrong I don't consider OPs behaviour appropriate as I doubt his intentions.

twisted_cherub 14

259- Offering a female coworker "physical intimacy" also has a stigma. We refer to it as sexual harassment. Look people, sexual harassment laws are pretty clear cut and the company wouldn't risk lawsuit by firing someone who may have been innocent. "Quit pro Quo" (this for that) is the act of offering favors, raises, or promotions in exchange for sexual favors. "Hostile Workplace" is the condition of working in an uncomfortable environment due to repeated sexual jokes, advances, touches, compliments, etc. These offers for massages and compliments may have seemed innocent, but it happened often enough to make the women feel uncomfortable and complain. The company is required to give him warning to change his behavior, and I'm sure at least some of the women told him to stop prior to him being fired. P.S.-I am not overly sensitive, just been through a lot of the classes. I'm a truck driver. Around truckers you must be able to take a joke, especially an overtly sexual one, without getting offended.

That's how things are these days. You can't really be friendly towards people, especially in the workplace. It just comes back to bite you.

Reality_bites 14

I think you can be friendly just not friendly friendly - as in sucking up to people in the hope this will make them like you. It doesnt.

it doesnt pay to be nice to anyone anymore does it?

Guarantee? You're weird. That makes all the difference.

KiddNYC1O 20

Some females go overboard with the sexual harassment clause. Pace yourself.

Well in a work environment, that -is- sexual harassment. It's pretty much a dictionary definition when you're trying to regulate a group of people that have to work together professionally. Sorry, don't be creepy next time.