Sheila Take a Bow

By Ash090 - 13/10/2024 18:00 - United States - Fort Lauderdale

Today, I came to realize that dating as an overweight girl sucks. I can’t get a guy to commit/stay to save my life. I go on dating apps, and when we exchange photos or meet in person they abandon me. I know that this will change if I lose weight, but is it wrong for me to want to be loved for who I am? FML
I agree, your life sucks 352
You deserved it 464

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's someone out there who will love all of you. Ditch the dating apps. Find groups that share your interests. Like, rock hunting, dnd, star gazing, whatever. Find your people that way.

I would recommend a 2 tier approach: Eat healthier and become more active while at the same time finding other place to look for love, such as groups based on shared interests. Generally speaking, just let go of strategies that are not working for you and start finding better strategies.

Comments

Either lose weight or quit bitching.

No you’re not wrong for wanting to be loved for who you are as is. Unfortunately, we live in a shallow superficial hellhole where people are written off if you don’t fit their unrealistic fantasy beauty standards. Say you do fit their beauty standards. What’s gonna happen when you have a baby and you gain weight or you get disfigured because of an accident? Does that automatically void all love and respect for you? Absolutely not. **** those who write you off based on looks. Have some hope and faith, the one who understands that true beauty is on the inside will come and appreciate all you are.

clumzrino 8

Being larger is generally connected to who someone is, either lazy or an overeater. Why would a person looking for an s/o choose someone unhealthy who doesn’t take care of themselves when there are other options who are in better shape? Also, accidentally/genetic disfigurement is not something controllable whereas weight is. They aren’t comparable.

Vesi 29

Yeah let's talk about this.. no, weight is NOT always controllable. Many people actually have medical conditions that cause weight gain, have to take meds for other conditions that cause weight gain and quite a few other genetic conditions that will cause weight gain. Anyone that automatically assumes laziness needs their backside kicked. There is a LOT that medical professionals are even now discovering about weight problems. I literally have FIVE conditions that makes it insanely hard to lose weight. So no, do not ever assume anything about anyone based on looks. Chances are, you are wrong.

There's someone out there who will love all of you. Ditch the dating apps. Find groups that share your interests. Like, rock hunting, dnd, star gazing, whatever. Find your people that way.

I'm going to be frank: "fat acceptance" is bullshit. It's completely ignoring personal accountability. You need to be a mature adult and accept that you, and you alone, have made yourself unattractive through your continued choices. You are expecting others to accept your unhealthy lifestyle and something that, in the modern world where food is plentiful and we recognize the health impacts of being overweight, is not not attractive. Again, it's called personal accountability and maturity.

Vesi 29

OR, and stay with me here, it's a case of medical conditions that make it insanely hard for people to lose or maintain a weight. Automatically assuming it's just by choice makes you look like an absolutely pathetic shallow doink. Get over yourself and realize that medical experts who are constantly learning about what causes weight conditions are finding more and more. One day, YOU might be overweight due to a genetic malfunction that happens later in life.. or an accident that puts you in a wheelchair. BTW, one of the things that you should know? An incredibly large percentage of overweight people are SA survivors and their weight gain is a reaction to protect themselves from being attacked again. So think before you open your yap. You don't know jack.

I would recommend a 2 tier approach: Eat healthier and become more active while at the same time finding other place to look for love, such as groups based on shared interests. Generally speaking, just let go of strategies that are not working for you and start finding better strategies.

Fat is unhealthy and unattractive. That's a fact. If I can lose 18 kg in 2 years, so can you.

easybree 10

online dating is ALL about looks. if you don’t look the best, don’t try it. everyone on there is shallow. I mean what do you expect, you’re swiping yes or no on pictures! I suggest doing what the third commenter said, ditch the apps & join some clubs

Being fat signals unhealthy habits and lack of will. So it is unattractive. Like dressing like a tramp for a date.

wish I could meet the OP who wrote this. she shouldn't have to change for anyone

GoogieWithers 22

You shouldn't have to change for anyone. But you have to be honest with potential dates and accept the fact that you may not be their type.