Superficial

By toolateabuckshort - This FML is from back in 2017 but it's good stuff

Today, I found my high school crush on Facebook. He asked me out. Too bad he's fat and bald now. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 702
You deserved it 2 402

Top comments

And I am sure you haven't changed since high school.

Comments

Natanaru 6

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Lucky O'Guin 18

I think it's very rude of you to base your decision on what he looks like now. But then, apparently you based your opinion on his looks back in high school, too. That just speaks to your shallowness and immaturity, so YDI.

OP shouldn't be so rude but come on, appearance does matter to some extent. Everyone is attracted to different things. I wouldn't date someone who I had absolutely no physical attraction to.

Exactly. Many people will rant about how shallow you are if you don't want to date due to lack of physical attraction, but I have been in a relationship where that was a problem, and eventually it was painful for both parties, so I decided not to make that mistake again. Sigh. Rant on people, I know I did the right thing!

It's not that you weren't attracted to him, because that's fine. It's the fact that you made a FML about it that makes you seem so gross.

I was simplifying to try to be funny. Of course most OPs are not as shallow as these posts would have one assume. Grain of salt, anyone?

Well, you're simplification simply made you sound like a bitch.

I had the opposite. I looked up my high school crush once on Facebook oh yeah he's still hot as hell and his fiancee is a gorgeous model type proving I never had a chance now or then and he also has a kid

OP here. Haha, I never imagined all this nasty feedback, but then again this is FML. I am a big fan of the website, and understand that the posts should be a combination of spilling your guts, but in a funny way. I was a painfully shy teenager, and always had crushes from afar. I was in a couple classes with this guy from the age of 13-15. He wasn't some super popular athletic star or anything, just a cute shy guy, and I probably only had a few conversations consisting of blushing and stuttering awkwardly. I didn't seek him out, it was just one of those FB hey you may know this person things, and 20 years later I felt confident enough to send a funny message admitting my previous crush. He was shocked and said I should meet up with him for dinner or something. Unfortunately, I had already moved 380 miles away. If I had been closer, I would have totally followed up! And yes, I was a little disappointed with his new appearance, I don't think that makes me shallow, some attraction should be part of dating. Not the whole picture, but you get the idea. I've dated a couple guys that were overweight, and my last bf was completely bald since he was 19, so all the haters can go to hell! Lmao, glad I finally got published! ----Hollerz

I love this follow-up... Thanks for sharing more of your story, despite all the hate. You rock!

Hehe, thanks! I love watching how people go so overboard with judgements on this site, so really was just laughing and took none of it personally.

Ah, I apologize greatly for what I posted, OP. It's difficult to know the entire story here usually because you can only write so much in a FML.

Wait. So, you initiated this whole thing and lead the conversation by telling him about your crush on him knowing full well you were no longer attracted to him, and that it was not feasible to meet up do to moving away. Okay, I was wrong. That's not shallow, it's cruel.

Thanks! Seriously, the post was meant to be succinct and funny, due to the nature of the website.

Actually, I just jokingly admitted to a crush for fun, figuring he would find it funny too. He was surprised, then said we should meet up. I really would have loved to, just to see what would have happened. It was a distance thing.

I'm glad he didn't waste his time in high school dating someone shallow like you who only liked him for his looks.

Oh hahaha I get it, it's funny because you're making fun of someone's physical appearance. Evidently you are still in high school.

CupidStunts 12

Yeah. As soon as I hit 30 I gained 15 pounds of weight I did not want. Even though I try to exercise unsuccessfully, my adult life causes stress and unwanted weight gain. I bet my high school crush would not go out with me either if I asked her because I am now fat and bald. Wait. Maybe she is fat too and has thinning hair. Score. This may work after all.

I was good friends with my high school crush years after we finished. It was obvious I had a crush on him and he wasn't interested because he told me I was too plain. Its 17 years later and he wanted me to cheat with him because apparently now I'm his type. We aren't friends anymore. I do wonder though, if you had dated and were still together now if you would have liked his transformation while with you. I guess we'll never know but it's interesting to think about.