By yep, she does have a tumblr - 18/07/2015 02:26 - United States - San Francisco

Today, a girl called me a racist, stereotyping asshole. All I did was ask a kid who happens to be Asian to tutor me in math. Which I didn't do just because he's Asian, but rather because he's in college and is actually a brilliant mathematician. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 534
You deserved it 2 130

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like she is actually the racist one! Sorry OP.

Just walk away, not worth the argument or explanation. Let her think whatever she wants. You know the truth.

Comments

Are you implying something with tumblr, or what?

I never get why people get mad over that particular Asian stereotype (which happened to be true in this case). Is it so bad to automatically considered intelligent based on your ethnicity? It's a pretty nice compliment.

CaroAurelia 12

It's certainly better than some stereotypes, but stereotypes aren't good at all. For one thing, they set the bar too high. Asians are supposed to be math geniuses? That's a really high standard they might feel pressured to meet. I'd imagine that would sting if you're Asian and you're better at writing than math. Plus it kind of just takes away individuality. Some Asians are good at math, but some are better at writing, or history, or whatever. Saying "all (blank) people are (blank)" is just shitty because you're not considering them as individuals.

I agree #43 and #15. It's the offended for me part that gets me. I can take a joke just fine, but when someone else turns it into a huge deal when I'm probably laughing about the joke myself, such a buzzkill!

CaroAurelia 12

Saw your username. Tumblr in a nutshell.

orsombre_fml 11

Jugdemental people are able to jump on any conclusion without evidence. Good luck in your studies, OP!

starglow13 10

But the best part about this was your username...I can totally relate.

Not really her business, so why did she butt into a conversation you were having with him anyway? What should matter is the opinion of the guy you asked, not said chick. If the guy doesn't want to tutor you, check with your student resource people, see if they have paid tutors- ones that the college pay to tutor students. Less hurt on your wallet as a bonus.