By yep, she does have a tumblr - 18/07/2015 02:26 - United States - San Francisco

Today, a girl called me a racist, stereotyping asshole. All I did was ask a kid who happens to be Asian to tutor me in math. Which I didn't do just because he's Asian, but rather because he's in college and is actually a brilliant mathematician. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 534
You deserved it 2 130

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like she is actually the racist one! Sorry OP.

Just walk away, not worth the argument or explanation. Let her think whatever she wants. You know the truth.

Comments

Because he's Asian. Duh. Why else would he be in college and good at math?! Silly you. Haha

I think it can go both ways. Some people 'white knight' way too hard to the point they start getting the side eye from folks, but it's not a bad thing to be empathetic. I may not be wording this very well, but if someone does say something to me in bad form, I do appreciate it when a friend calls them out on it.

Um, people should always stand up against racism, discrimination, and bigotry whether they are of the race/gender/sexual orientation/religion/social class being persecuted or not. Allowing it to happen to anyone is the same as condoning it. If white people hadn't stood with African Americans during the Civil Rights Movement, it would've never had happened. The problem is people like OP's girlfriend who don't understand what racism is.

AdamTB 26

43 - I suppose it depends on how far they go. I agree with what you're saying, but admittedly I tend to think of stuff like this when people get offended over a harmless joke towards a specific group as I see that a lot, both on the internet and in real life. You are correct, however, I'm probably just generalizing the people that do that.

So you need help in math...it shouldn't matter who you ask but you can't please them all...hope the tutoring goes well and you excel OP

What's racist is turning stuff that wasn't even about race into something to do with race.

I hate when people send outreach packages or invest in month long mission trips to volunteer in third world countries. Like, it's not their country or their culture, why do they care about them. It's not any of their business. They should just let the people starve, kill each other, and allow the spread of treatable deadly infections. Jeez...

your user name made me laugh really hard

She brought up the classic Asian stereotype and accused you for being racist? Hmm