By chieftain - 09/05/2012 19:34 - Norway - T?nsberg

Today, I am defending a client on trial for perjury. She is a sweet girl and the first person I've loved in years, but she keeps doing everything she can to make herself look guilty in front of the jury. Now I'm having a daily crisis of conscience in the middle of the courtroom. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 255
You deserved it 5 699

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Glitterhinoceros 14

You're defending her, do all the talking and tape her mouth shut or something. That doesn't look suspicious at all.

Well, at least your being professional- oh no wait...

Comments

Op's Client: I'm not say that I killed her, but she wouldn't stop screaming when I stabbed her, so-- Op: *whispering* Shut up, I'm trying to help you! And I love you. Client: I knife you too! Op: wait, what. Client: I love killing.

Apparently, you missed Ponies being launched into space. They're coming for you.

Sometimes you just can't help falling in love, so FYL, OP. Just set your feelings aside for now and do your job, keeping her off the stand as much as possible. If you want to pursue a relationship after the trial, make sure it's in a way that's legal & doesn't jeopardize your reputation.

LoganBurrito 6

Ever watch Capcom's Ace Attorney? Just do what Phoenix Wright does: Stand and hold a document, tap it twice with the back of your hand, then dramatically slam your hands on the desk, point at the plaintiff with an outstretched arm and yell "OBJECTION! Take that!" You'll be guaranteed to win!

OBJECTION! When Phoenix does that, he finds that people actually are lying at the stand, but that is exactly what he does not want to prove...

Deltajoel 0

Too bad you can't withdraw since trial has commenced. No judge will let you out since out would be adverse to the client..fml indeed.

Conflict of interest? Isn't it illegal to be involved with a client, whether it be mutual or one-sided? That's what I thought, I may be wrong though.

He never said he was "involved" with her, just that he loves her. I get the impression that she doesn't even know how he feels about her. The guy can't necessarily help the way he feels, though. Sucks. :(

Involvement when it comes to the law includes any type of attraction: sexual, physical, or emotional. This includes "crushes", being sexually active with the client, or being "in love". Again, just what my impression is from my law classes. Anyone hop in and correct me if I'm wrong!

Well I'm no lawyer, so you may be right. But I get the impression from other comments that it may be too late for him to drop the case since they're already before a jury. Also, it might be worse for him to drop the case (if he even can) than to just continue with it & try to set his feelings aside.

No matter what, though, this is certainly a difficult situation with no clear solution. Poor OP. :(

Just because an attorney is attracted to a client doesn't mean he has to withdraw from her case. He may not,however, act upon that attraction. However, if the attraction clouds his judgment – and it seems as though it may be the case in this matter – the attorney should withdraw.

59, Really, lawyers with any form of attraction to their clients are breaking the law? Maybe thats why everyone looks like shit when they go to trial, so that they can actually find someone to represent them...Super models must have to shit their pants for any hope of finding a lawyer.

106 - Thanks for the clear up :) 127 - It's like I've been saying this ENTIRE time, I wasn't 100% sure what the rules were. No need to get so defensive, yeesh.

Falling in love with a client not good , falling in love with a client who won't listen to you worse , what's gonna happen if you keep going down this path with a client - really ******* bad !!

tayrex77 3

you have a conflict of interest. you shouldn't even be defending her at all. first rule of practicing law!

Are you her attorney or are you her suitor? You can't be both. Pick one, and be that, perfectly. The situation sounds like it has already progressed to the point where you don't have a choice (can't recuse yourself) -- so you're her attorney. So, you have to do what's best for her as an ATTORNEY, without regard for your romantic feelings for her. You must be her perfect attorney -- nothing less, and nothing more. If that means telling her to shut the hell up, you have to do it. If that means telling her to say X instead of Y (as long as X isn't a lie), then you have to do it. Even if either of those things makes her hate you. As her attorney, you owe her nothing less than that. Once the dust settles, once the case is over ... THEN you can talk to her about the other things.