By Cult - 30/03/2014 14:27 - United States - Glenside

Today, I found out that my favorite band logo is no longer being used by said band because of copyright issues. I have this logo tattooed on my body. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 327
You deserved it 57 513

Same thing different taste

Top comments

chocolatefrog28 29

But now you have a permanent part of their history, and it doesn't decrease your appreciation for the band. It's not that bad.

Comments

damnit1989 16

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It's easy to wash off though. Use a sponge, soap water. And scrub vigorously. .... Oh wait this is permanent. You're pretty much screwed.

Kn0wledge123 21

Yeah this was clearly stupid. YDI OP

ThomasBombadil 31

If I had Three Dog Night tattooed on me in the 70's it would be apropos now. Who else wants OP to chime in with the band name?

Why your child's name? It's not like you're going to forget their name

ThomasBombadil 31
buttcramp 21

70, if a person has tattoos of meaningful things then their child may wonder why he or she isn't meaningful enough to be a tattoo.

Helldemon 32

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

My mom tattooed my name. Four years later I changed my name.

buttcramp 21

103, you don't have kids do you?

70, people don't typically get tattoos for incase they forget something. They get them for sentimental reasons

WTH are you smoking? Possibility of copyright issues is NOT the "same reason" on why you shouldn't get a person's name tattoo'd on your body.

#111 Forgive me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it be easier if you just said 'they' and 'their' to cover both genders?

Has anyone actually seen the logo who's complaining about poor decisions? It's a bird and I think it's cool. I saw some examples of tattoos with it and it looks amazing by itself. People get generic bird tattoos all the time this one has meaning, but could pass off as just a pretty bird.

Can't you get tattoos removed, painful and expensive but you can

Woah.. This is why they say tattoo meaningful things only.

did you consider that it IS meaningful to them?

#9- yeah, but favorite stuff changes for everyone, as preferences change. They say, "would you want your favorite band (or whatever the case my be) from 5 years ago tattooed to your body now?"

my favorite band has been my favorite for over ten years :)

jazzy_123 20

tattoos don't always have to be meaningful. What are you the tattoo police? I have a friend who got a tattoo of a Pokémon, Squirtel, because she likes Pokémon and she thinks its cute. It's been 5 years and she loves it more and more now than when she first got it.

YellowKettleBell 31

I personally see no point in tattoos and could never see myself get one, but come on people. Everyone makes their own choices. If someone wants to tattoo a band logo on his back, chest, head or genitals, that is their decision by their consideration and you have no right to judge them for it. OP, though, has some regretting to do. FYL, but kinda YDI in a way.

sterling1113 15

Everybody gets their tattoos for their own reasons, I don't really see the point in shaming it whether it's their "favorite" anything or not.

I agree that getting a tattoo of a favourite band really isn't all that bad a thing to do. You never know, maybe that band is meaninful to OP because if got her through some rough times, or maybe its main meaning is the fact that she loves the music. Either way if she likes the tattoo I think there's no problem in her getting it. It's just unfortunate that their logo changed.

Firstly, the band might very well be meaningful to OP. Secondly, a tattoo doesn't need to be meaningful to look cool.

99, same :) Ev has been my favourite band for most of my life and they've gotten me through a lot. I got the Open Door version of their symbol on my hip last year and I love it! :)

1x1y 12

No, they don't have to be meaningful, but for me, if I'm getting something permanently on my body, it's gonna have some meaning.

So let's say OP lost a loved one, and in their time of mourning a specific band helped them get through it... is that not meaningful? A band whose song was featured at OP's wedding lost its significance thereafter? There are many examples as to why your comments are unjustified, #2 & #13

#73. How can you say he deserves in it a way, when you literally just said that people can get whatever they want tattoed on themselves. I mean, it was his decision, right?

I'm planning to get an entire sleeve of logos of bands who made a difference in my life. The point of tattoos isn't really "hey will I love this forever?" But I consider it more of proof that you lived and loved. An old diary in a way of sorts. So it doesn't matter if you don't like the band in 5 years, it still meant something to you in the past and I think that's beautiful.

YDI OP. You knew that tattoo was going to be permanent when you were getting it.

Yeah, but OP didn't know they were going to change their logo. I still think tattoos of favorite stuff is stupid. You know what they say, "Think back to your favorite band 5 years ago, and if you would want that tattooed to your now"

I don't blame op for getting the tattoo. I have tattoos related to my favorite musicians, that I've had for years now and they still have just as much meaning to me today.

amberv61 22

My favorite band today is Avenged Sevenfold. My favorite band 7 years ago was Avenged Sevenfold. Huh...

Once Avenged Sevenfold, alway Avenged Sevenfold. They're the best.

I wonder who your favorite band will be in 50 years. Because bands break up and music fades but tattoos are quite literally forever.

DaMann360 19

#32, Avenged Sevenfold is amazing but I still wouldn't get them tatooed on me. In fact I don't think I'll ever get a tatoo for the same reason you wouldn't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari.

amberv61 22

I have their logo tattoo'd. They were/are a very important part of my life. Just because there is a potential of a band breaking up doesn't mean their music and their existence would ever disappear. I am very aware my tattoo is permanent and had many years to think about it before I decided to have it tattoo'd. That's cool if you would never do it, but you can't tell someone else not to do it. It's not your body to make choices for. The OP can definitely get a cover up if need be or keep it as a reminder of a certain part in their life

ExiledRemixx 13

You do realize it's possible to remove tattoos right? There is a place that's out of town not far from mine but they can remove tattos.

Oh hot damn, 43, that self esteem is off the charts! I like it.

sterling1113 15

"You wouldn't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari" that's an awful tattoo analogy. Bumper stickers are a few dollars and they're removable. It would be more like "you wouldn't custom airbrush your Ferrari to your personal preference, oh wait, yes you would. Cause it's your god damn Ferrari, do whatever you want with it."

The ferarri analogy is almost as terrible as the 'My body is a temple' one. Hello. Have you ever seen a temple that wasn't painted or otherwise adorned?

I love guns n roses and have for over 10 years, but I still wouldn't get their logo on me. My music taste changes too often. I have tattoos that have to do with my health problems and what I've gotten through. I don't trust myself to like something enough to have it on me for life if it's not something personal. Plus, removal makes it fade a lot but not totally disappear usually, and it scars. Cover ups would be smarter. That's personal opinion, of course. If a person wants to do the opposite of what I think, all the power to them. It's not my skin.

cryssycakesx3 22

that terrible, overused bumper sticker/ferrari nonsense isn't really valid if you're actually built like a minibus.

or for the same reason you wouldnt put paint on a ferrari. ... oh, wait...

ViviMage 38

I consider a tattoo akin to graffiti on a temple. Not paintings, murals, or any part that should be there.

I would want a tattoo of my favorite band from 10 years, they are still my favorite.

No matter what, don't try to get it removed, you'll ruin your skin!

can't OP have a new tattoo over the old band logo. I swear I heard somewhere that you could do that...

Steve95401 49

It's too late - OP already ruined their skin by getting inked

yeah have you ever seen the show Bad Ink? it's amazing how they transform horrible tattoos into works of art.

StillUsesMyspace 22

OP should just get a second tattoo of the new logo and turn their body into a timeline!

#35 .. That is entirely an opinion statement. What you consider ruined, other people, including myself, consider art.

chocolatefrog28 29

But now you have a permanent part of their history, and it doesn't decrease your appreciation for the band. It's not that bad.

cryssycakesx3 22

that's how I feel, it's a reminder of a period in your life. at one point that thing was important to you.

This may sound extreme but saying 'don't get a tattoo of your favourite band because they might split up blah blah blah' is like saying 'don't get a tattoo of a family member, they might die' (Yes I know that was extreme) It is a tattoo that reminds you of a certain time in your life you can look back on, it gives that nice nostalgia feeling. Besides, if it turns out it is no longer wanted there are removal methods or cover ups.

Some people are too quick to tattoo just anything they like on a whim. When contemplating getting a tattoo, remember that it will be there when you are a parent, a grandparent, etc.

You mean to tell me that when I got my tattoo, I didn't consider that it would be there when my son ages? That when he has kids I'll STILL have my tattoo? Wow, thanks for the helpful insight! I clearly should've considered my options better before getting my permanent tattoo!

17-- to be fair, 7 said some, not all...

17, way to be butthurt and defensive. Good job!

PresidentNorth 16

If the comment didn't say some her defensive argument would have been just. Sorry #17.

That’s why my mom didn’t allow me to have a tattoo unless I think about it for a full year. I gave her pictures of the tattoos I wanted to have at age 14 and 16 and they looked ridiculous a year later. She still has these pictures.

I have the same problem. Why did Wendy's have to change their logo?!

So what if this said band also ceased to exist... Bands break up too, you know...

But then at least they'd still be represented by the same logo.

I once went on a date with a guy and he showed me a tattoo of his own name on his arm... I guess in case he lost it? So there you go, OP. There's at least one person in the universe with a dumber tattoo than you.

You quite possibly met the protagonist from Memento.

Google bayside tattoos and I invite you to scroll through the hundreds and thousands of people who have a bayside tattoo as well, they are as the logo says,a cult.

avclovewsh 8

There's nothing wrong with getting your name tattooed on yourself ... It's not that dumb!

#58 Actually, it's pretty dumb to have your own name as a tattoo.

ellebelles98 4

A teacher who taught at my elementary school had a tattoo of his name underneath a mermaid

Well, guys, I guess we all know what 58 has tattooed on her body...

cryssycakesx3 22

perhaps their name has a certain meaning to them. my brother named me, so it's a little more special to me.