By extremereviews - 16/08/2015 22:14 - United States - Fort Worth

Today, I realized how cheap I am when I blacked out at a water park and some one yelled "Call 911!" I tried to mutter out "No, that's too expensive!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 012
You deserved it 14 845

extremereviews tells us more.

Hello everyone! Yes I do have insurance, but the last time a friend of mine needed an ambulance the bill was still over $1500 after insurance. Also yes, in America you do have to pay when you go to the hospital. Luckily the water park just so happened to be built directly next to a fire station, so they just wheeled me over there and treated me on site. I was very dehydrated, and when I blacked out I was actually in line to get a water from the concession stand but I had been waiting in line for over 30 minutes in the heat which didn't help.

Top comments

'You'll have to pry my wallet from my cold, dead hands!'

Comments

Denise1988 13

I understand, OP! Short of my husband being unable to walk to the car, I would not call 911 because I know I'd have to pay a good chunk of money. Whenever we've had to go to the ER, we've just driven.

You're not cheap, you just happen to live in the US... Sorry, OP.

I got very sick with food poisoning while on holidays in the States and my friend wanted to call 911, and I had the same objection. I'm Canadian, I've never paid for medical care so I had no idea how much that stuff costs! (And I was young and dumb so I didn't buy out-of-country medical insurance before my trip. We were in Grand Forks, ND so I figured home was close enough). My friend called 911 anyways, and the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital but I refused. Luckily I was fine, no bill and my boyfriend drove me back the hour and a half home next morning to see a doctor there.

koganti 18

I don't blame you, op. My wife passed out while shopping and an ambulance took her to a hospital 6 miles away. Guess who now has a $1200 bill? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she was cared for, but if you can avoid the ambulance, do it!

I sympathize with you. I don't have insurance, and couldn't foot the near $1,000 bill for an ambulance. You were in an awful situation.

On one hand, I understand your concerns when everything is so expensive - especially ambulances. On the other hand: priorities, man.