By Fibericon - 17/08/2009 20:02 - Taiwan

Today, I showed up at work and a coworker pointed a gun at me. After twisting his arm and leveling his face into the wall, I found out it was a lighter. Now I might lose my job over his stupid joke. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 052
You deserved it 5 465

Fibericon tells us more.

Wow, didn't expect this many comments. I talked to my boss about it today. The coworker had actually lodged a complaint, but conveniently forgot to mention the whole thing about a lighter that looks like a gun. He doesn't work there anymore. The main reason I thought I was going to lose my job was that he had worked there for a lot longer than I had. I've been there less than a year. I was worried that he could have said anything he wanted and I'd end up with the shit end of the stick just because I was new. As for whether or not I over reacted, maybe I could have taken a moment to analyze the situation, but it's not like he was trying to take my wallet or telling me to do anything. He silently pointed a "gun" at me. The last time I spoke to him I had said to him was that his English sucked and he shouldn't be teaching (I work at an ESL institute). The next time I saw him, gun in the face. I asked a cop friend from the states about it, he said if someone pointed that at him they'd get shot.

Top comments

Lose your job over it? He should lose his job for pulling such an immature prank at work.

Don't listen to anyone telling you that you deserve it. They just think they could react calmly in a situation like it's some sort of movie where they can dodge a bullet and face danger down, maybe throw in a cool line like Dirty Harry telling the guy about the gun he's holding and tell him something like, "You couldn't hit a, etcetera." He pulled something out on you like it was a gun. It was shaped like a gun. Guns come in all sizes - some smaller than a credit card. Just tell your co-worker and boss that you have no hard feelings, and at the end of the day, he's the one with the bruised body.

Comments

One of my best friends has a black belt in hap ki do, which is mainly street self defense and kicks and shit. If anyone pulled this kind of crazy shit on him, they wouldn't have an arm to complain about. Or a face to complain with.

Yeah dude, like my uncle is in the Navy SEALs and he can like, kill a man just by touching him in exactly the right place. And like he's so well trained he can HEAR the difference between a real and a fake gun. I mean he doesn't like to talk about his job, obviously. But he could totally kick Chuck Norris' ass. Like no question. Probably Bruce lee, too. *Sarcasm off*

he pulls a weapon out and threatens u you can sue him press charges and have hime put in jail you wont lose your job because he threatened u

That works nice in theory, but if the local cops decide to laugh it off, the OP won't have much of a case at all. Then there is the evidence issue, if the lighter gun could be easily identified as a fake gun, then the threat part becomes questionable. Besides, even if there are eye-witnesses, such as other coworkers, I am not sure if they are willing to testify on behalf of the OP say if he gets fired for this incident. Labor protection laws aren't strong in Taiwan, and with the horrible economy, the government tends to give employers even more freedom.

outofluckdude 0

this is obviously a gun lighter not a regular ass lighter, and trust me at first glance they look legit

dreamchaser 0

seriously guys.. enough with the paragraphs.

You're not going to lose your job if you explain you thought it was real. I guess they need to put an orange tip on those now.

BikerMike 0

file a complaint about the worker who pulled a gun on you. if you get fired for that you can sue the living shit out of the company. If the other worker does not get fired you could still probably sue the *******. Also file a police report on the worker, they may find their ass in jail. that is ******* bull shit

sole21000 0

Idk how things are in Taiwan, but hopefully you can point out the fact that it was in self-defense (or would be if it had been a real gun), and perhaps turn this into something positive....I mean, who doesn't want a quick-thinking, responsible person person working for them?

bull crap you lose your job!! he ought to lose his job for pulling even a toy gun on you.. if it looked real enough for you to take defensive action it is real enough that it ought to get HIM fired.

If you get fired for that get a lawyer and sue. You were protecting yourself and didn't know it was fake...what if it wasn't fake? at least you would be alive right now.

Wow, didn't expect this many comments. I talked to my boss about it today. The coworker had actually lodged a complaint, but conveniently forgot to mention the whole thing about a lighter that looks like a gun. He doesn't work there anymore. The main reason I thought I was going to lose my job was that he had worked there for a lot longer than I had. I've been there less than a year. I was worried that he could have said anything he wanted and I'd end up with the shit end of the stick just because I was new. As for whether or not I over reacted, maybe I could have taken a moment to analyze the situation, but it's not like he was trying to take my wallet or telling me to do anything. He silently pointed a "gun" at me. The last time I spoke to him I had said to him was that his English sucked and he shouldn't be teaching (I work at an ESL institute). The next time I saw him, gun in the face. I asked a cop friend from the states about it, he said if someone pointed that at him they'd get shot.

Excellent. Considering your explanation of your last interaction with the guy, it is somewhat reasonable to imagine the gun might have been real.