By Fibericon - 17/08/2009 20:02 - Taiwan

Today, I showed up at work and a coworker pointed a gun at me. After twisting his arm and leveling his face into the wall, I found out it was a lighter. Now I might lose my job over his stupid joke. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 052
You deserved it 5 465

Fibericon tells us more.

Wow, didn't expect this many comments. I talked to my boss about it today. The coworker had actually lodged a complaint, but conveniently forgot to mention the whole thing about a lighter that looks like a gun. He doesn't work there anymore. The main reason I thought I was going to lose my job was that he had worked there for a lot longer than I had. I've been there less than a year. I was worried that he could have said anything he wanted and I'd end up with the shit end of the stick just because I was new. As for whether or not I over reacted, maybe I could have taken a moment to analyze the situation, but it's not like he was trying to take my wallet or telling me to do anything. He silently pointed a "gun" at me. The last time I spoke to him I had said to him was that his English sucked and he shouldn't be teaching (I work at an ESL institute). The next time I saw him, gun in the face. I asked a cop friend from the states about it, he said if someone pointed that at him they'd get shot.

Top comments

Lose your job over it? He should lose his job for pulling such an immature prank at work.

Don't listen to anyone telling you that you deserve it. They just think they could react calmly in a situation like it's some sort of movie where they can dodge a bullet and face danger down, maybe throw in a cool line like Dirty Harry telling the guy about the gun he's holding and tell him something like, "You couldn't hit a, etcetera." He pulled something out on you like it was a gun. It was shaped like a gun. Guns come in all sizes - some smaller than a credit card. Just tell your co-worker and boss that you have no hard feelings, and at the end of the day, he's the one with the bruised body.

Comments

echarperouge 0

Shouldn't he be losing his job?

What if it really was a gun? A face in the wall is nothing compared to people getting killed. Your reaction was entirely justified under the circumstances and used the proper amount of force. So yes, FYL if you lose your job.

cactus_fml 0

Really, did he report you for twisting his arm? If so, what an asshole. Good reflexes though. ;D

that sucks dude. He should get fired for being an idiot

morgan020 0

I agree FYL he should be the one who gets fired. way to protect yourself. the only thing that could have been better if you broke his nose :) good job.

What a dumbass. He's an idiot. People like that who pull shenanigans at the expense of others that could have such big consequences, are stupid.

Apples16 0

dude that's not even your fault it was self defence

you can't lose your job... the praker might though. Just ask a cop what he would do is he saw something that looks like a gun pointed at him. I can safely say that the cop will not stop to examine it.

They make lighters that look almost exactly like guns. Easy mistake to make, especially if you only have a split second.