This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Katie1921 - 09/02/2016 02:52 - United States - New York

Today, I tutored a third grade girl after school. She was squirming so much I thought she had to go to the bathroom. Turns out, she was just masturbating on the corner of a school chair. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 331
You deserved it 1 824

Katie1921 tells us more.

Hi guys- OP here! To answer a few questions and concerns people have said- 1. I did not tell the girl's parents - I do not have a close relationship with them other than a few "hi"s and talking about the girl's homework, also I am a high school student myself and I do not know how to handle that situation at all 2. I knew she was masturbating because she stuck her hands down her pants a few times anddd... I'm not gonna go into details, but it was pretty obvious

Top comments

these comments bother me. stuff like this has always happened we just didn't have things like the internet to share it. the kid might not have even known what she was doing, just that it felt good.

Comments

Hi guys- OP here! To answer a few questions and concerns people have said- 1. I did not tell the girl's parents - I do not have a close relationship with them other than a few "hi"s and talking about the girl's homework, also I am a high school student myself and I do not know how to handle that situation at all 2. I knew she was masturbating because she stuck her hands down her pants a few times anddd... I'm not gonna go into details, but it was pretty obvious

3. I asked if she had to go to the bathroom and she blushed really red and said no, and after started doing it again, but more discreetly

Because she is putting her in her pants, this seems like unusually advanced sexual knowledge, which is a possible sign of sexual abuse. I would recomend speaking with a trusted teacher for advice.

It's also possible she just "discovered" it early, and might just need, um, a discreet talk about appropriate timing?

It's strange that she blushed; if she was aware of the "intimate" aspect of what she was doing, why wouldn't she stop? well in any case i hope she's just discovering her body and has not lived bad things as some comments suggest :/

I work with a 2nd grader who does the same thing on the corner of her chair multiple times a day, every day...

That's natural behavior and children at that age are too young to understand that although it feels good, it's not something to do in public. Next time you catch her doing that I would quietly tell her that it's something she should do at home, alone, in her room. Kind of like how she's not supposed to take off her clothes in the middle of class.

Bring it up discreetly say something to the parents like "she's squirming in her seat and she says she doesn't have to go to the bathroom, I'm not sure if she's nervous to go around strangers but just to let you know" or something to that effect.

This is very concerning children don't do this for any reason. There is most likely something seriously wrong, like she has been molested or has or is experiencing some type of sexual violence. I would report this immediately for her safety. As ( I am assuming) a future teacher you should be aware that this stuff happens and be able to advocate for this child instead of judging them.

this has nothing to do with being sexually abused when they're young. I used to do this when I was little against the edge of a table. and I didn't know it was bad at the time. and I've never been sexually harassed or abused.

For all of you worrying and freaking out; this is actually quite normal for a child of this age. (Assuming it's not stemming from abuse) The behaviour would be purely pleasure based and the main thing would be to teach the child that the behaviour is a special private thing for them to do alone in their bedroom. I wouldn't tell the parents because not all parents will cope well hearing about their child masterbating. But yeah, totally normal behaviour.

skwid_kid 8

Guys, this is extremely normal. Plenty of people have started masterbating at a young age. I think usually it's an accidental discovery, like sitting on the washing machine and realizing it feels good. More than likely it has nothing to do with abuse. Kids just don't know what they're doing.

These commenters need to take a Psych class. Stage theory people. Stage theory.