By SDworkinggirl - 05/07/2009 19:04 - United States

Today, I was fired from my volunteer job. Why? Because they said I was working so hard and doing such a good job that I was making the real staff look bad. FML
I agree, your life sucks 67 328
You deserved it 4 229

SDworkinggirl tells us more.

SDworkinggirl 0

Okay so let me clarify some things that people are either stupid or confused about. I voluteered in an organization that has retirement homes all over the country, and helps seniors with limited means. I started volunteering, because it looks good on a resume and I was having a hard time getting a job. So I started volunteering at this retirement home, but I quickly grew to love it, and soon I was working hard because I truely enjoyed visiting with the seniors and delivering mail to them, among the other things I did there. Unknown to me, some of the residents started to complain about how I was nicer and more caring than most of the nurses. They didn't hire me because, I am not a nurse, and I don't have a college degree yet, so there was no position open for me. And the guy who "fired" me let me know why I was being let go, kinda in secret otherwise I doubt I would have been told why they let me go.

Top comments

Ya that'll send a great message to the staff. fire people for good work.

You should apply your skills to actually making money.

Comments

ambisaurus 0

that happened with my work experience, I got fired from a job I was doing for no money for working too hard, I then nearly got suspended from school, because I was fired.

The fact that people actually know that this is remotely similar to an episode of That 70's show makes me think of how much of a "Winner" they are.

Is it impossible that the same situation might have happened to two people? I ate a green apple today and anyone else who claaaaims they have is a liar cuz thats what i did. ****** reres

I'd love to be able to put that on my resume!

So instead of laying off one of their lousy workers and give you the job, they decided to just fire you? Wow. They're complete idiots. You don't wanna work for people like that 

OP isn't a qualified healthcare worker (i.e. they can't legally administer medication, bandage wounds, etc.) and can only do things like help the elderly get dressed and take them to the loo, make them tea and keep them company. So, the company would be at a loss and putting the other nurses under pressure by firing a healthcare worker/nurse for a "member of the public"...

that's why this world is f'd up in some aspects

Common_Sense 0

that sounds exactly like the movie hot fuzz (where the police officer gets sent to the countryside cos he makes every1 look bad cos he's a rly good police officer)

:D I was thinking that too! Love that movie... But I'm thinking, no. That would be so incredibly stupid on their part, it means you're doing tons of their work and they don't have to pay you. Lies, man.

**** their life & use this termination to YOUR advantage! If you tell an interviewer that you were let go for working too hard; they will hire you!

skullbuster 0

No, they will think she is either boastful, someone they wanted to get rid of without hurting her feelings, or a flat-out liar... and of course there is the possibility that some group of morons (YES YOU ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE) will think she spends all her time watching "That 70's Show". Didn't that *#&@ drop off the air years ago, get a life people!