By 635CSi - 06/06/2012 05:23 - United States - San Diego

Today, my father-in-law called me an idiot for buying him coffee cake because he can't have caffeine. He refuses to believe that there's as much coffee in coffee cake as there is ham in a hamburger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 110
You deserved it 2 987

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually, most hamburgers are 100% beef, while ham is pork. The more you know.

Comments

So you're telling me there ISN'T any ham in a hamburger? :O

ChickInGreenVans 12

Sorry did we just ruin that one for you?? 0_o??

COLDB3AR 6

There is coffee in coffee cake

After so many people insisting coffee cakes have coffee I consulted a number of baking books and references. I have drawn a conclusion; American coffee cakes typically don't have coffee and are called coffee cakes cause they're made to go with coffee, typically in the AM. Coffee cakes abroad usually have some coffee and are called coffee cake because of their coffee content. They are mostly designed to be an afternoon or evening snack.

I'd like to add to that that carrot cake ALWAYS contains carrots, or it isn't carrot cake. Without carrots, carrot cake is just spice cake. And probably a dry one, at that.

COLDB3AR 6

Clearly you didn't, I work in a cafe ALL DAY there is coffee in coffee cake, the caffeine cooks out. I make it and watched people make it. WITH COFFEE

Just because your cafe does it that way doesn't mean I didnt look it up. I am a pastry chef ALL DAY. I found that every source I looked at from the us, had no coffee, every source I looked at from the uk/France, had coffee. By the way, caffeine doesn't cook out. If it did, all coffee would be decaf.

ChickInGreenVans 12

Scroll up you'll find the answers there..

wait!!! when did they stop putting coffee in coffee cakes and ham in hamburgers??? geez, I'm always the last to hear these things lol

TheEpicMilkMan 13

just tell him its decaf then give it to him with some milk, or does he not like milk? *sharpens shank*

For a second there I actually thought there was ham in a hamburger lol

Rewrap it and tell him you baked a breakfast cake or call it a snack cake. Hope your husband was adopted and not blood related to this ass-clown.

LOL, i hope he's adopted too. If he's an American father-in-law

stewpididiot 11

LoL !! She said AssClown !!!

This is what happens every time you try to be nice to someone.

BRInyx 0

In 1802, the Oxford English Dictionary defined Hamburg steak as salt beef. It had little resemblance to the hamburger we know today. It was a hard slab of salted minced beef, often slightly smoked, mixed with onions and breadcrumbs. The emphasis was more on durability than taste. Immigrants to the United States from German-speaking countries brought with them some of their favorite foods. One of them was Hamburg Steak. The Germans simply flavored shredded low-grade beef with regional spices, and both cooked and raw it became a standard meal among the poorer classes. In the seaport town of Hamburg, it acquired the name Hamburg steak. Today, this hamburger patty is no longer called Hamburg Steak in Germany but rather "Frikadelle," "Frikandelle" or "Bulette," orginally Italian and French words.