By ashleigh_anarchy - 21/02/2012 01:05 - Australia

Today, someone actually thought it was appropriate to compare my mother's death to the death of their cat. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 304
You deserved it 3 365

ashleigh_anarchy tells us more.

ashleigh_anarchy 7

Just to follow things up. It has only been a month since she passed away. She was pretty much my best friend. She had been sick for all of my life and I looked after her for as long as I remember. In the last three months she was completely bedridden. She was a very strong woman and was expected to live 20 years less than she did, but I absolutely couldn't believe it when she died because of how much she carried on and of course I cared about it more than anything. It was the hardest thing I've ever experienced, and am still experiencing. The cat in question was a stray cat, and I posted this because why the **** would I post an FML on the day she died? I can tell you now I was doing a lot more important things. This is my reaction to an idiot one month later, who said 'Sorry about your mum. I know how you feel, my cat died'. Nothing should be more important than the relationship with your mother. If you never got to have a good relationship with yours, I'm very sorry. But yeah, I have lost pets and I was distraught but NOTHING can compare. If you haven't lost a close parent, you can't imagine.

Top comments

that's terrible. i'm sorry OP. some people don't put things into perspective

Comments

It's arrogant of you to think it's not.. Importance is relative.. Your mother was very important to you but that doesn't mean she was to others and some people see their pets as their children. In that case, you may not think the cat or other pet was important but it's extremely important to the person you're talking to.. If the person was like this than it's ignorant of you to think less of them for comparing the 2 because in their mind the 2 might very well be equal...

CursedSilent 1

As a pet owner, I can honestly say comparing a pet dying to actual kin dying is insensitive and shows a warped sense of reality. Yes, to some they are like children but in the end they are not. They fid not come from your body and they did not birth you. Regardless of importance in your life, there is rationally no comparison except for simply death.

#90-- What does coming from someone's body or giving birth to someone have to do with love or grief? How do you explain grief that adopted children or children with adopted parents feel when their family members die? Or what about people who don't really care about their family members' deaths?

Sorry about your loss I really am. At the same time you have to understand a lot of people don't look at there animals as pets and look at them like family. I think it should be that way. That's why they call it adoption when you get a pet.

Years ago I lost my father to cancer so I understand your feelings. That being said, I have two dogs and if either of them died the pain would be just as real. Try not to pass judgement too rashly.

perdix 29

I'm sorry that your mom choked to death on a furball. It just made the cat comparisons inevitable.

Is this really the time to make jokes at least for this fml?

op's mom could have died many years ago, and this was the topic of their conversation... She probably also feels animals are not to be compared with humans, making this an fml.

perdix 29

#99 Yes, yes it is. This is FML, baby! You post your stories and you takes your chances. I'm sure there are sites for online mourning, but when you bring your shit to FML, prepare to be ridiculed and criticized by the Greek chorus, aka, the commenters including me. I have real tragedy in my life. What I don't want made fun of I keep to myself.

Wow can't believe all the ppl defending the argument ''my cat = ur mum''. It can never compare, it's not even same cathegory , and it is rly rly offenssive. Forget about ''good intenssions bla bla bla'' u can always get another cat but u only have 1 mom. It's damn offensive to even attempt to compare.

Michael_92 20

See i'm caught between the two. I dont personally agree a cats life could be as important however there are situations where maybe she had a bad mom and the only person she could turn to was her cat. Now that doesn't make the comparison of mom and cat okay but you see where I am going. Also your wrong, you mom is your mom, there is only 1 like her. However a cat is just not a cat, it has a personality just like people do. So yea there is only 1 cat that will act like that. Generalize and say cats are cats isn't fair.

cooLING 0

Yea, but did your cat help create you? Did they clean your diapers? Did they help you become the person you are today? Cats might have personalities and you might love them to death but that cat never did nearly as much as a parent does.

#114-- So women who have miscarriages shouldn't be that upset, because the fetus never did any of those things, and technically did less than the pet? And people who lose their children shouldn't be that upset either because their children didn't help raise the parents?

I would've beet the guy up, I'm not kiddig.

I hear people compare their animals to my children all the time.

DeadxManxWalking 27

How could anyone do that? Or even why?

Keliosan 6

Sorry you had to deal with. I'm sure your loss was bad enough without dumbasses like that. I just hope it wasn't one of your friends because that isn't someone you need in your life.

StromyG2 10

I once compared the loss of my dog to the loss of someone's child. I really didn't realize how bad that was until after her reaction. FML