Welcome to Capitalism

By school issues - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I found out I'm failing school. Why am I failing? Because I work 60 hours a week. Why do I work 60 hours a week? To pay for school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 332
You deserved it 5 299

Top comments

Been there; done that. Hang in there however you can. It's worth it in the end. Good luck and yeah, it stinks now.

Comments

I'd say OP's just doing it by the books. (Bad pun)

That's like when you need a job for experience but then you need experience to get the job...

Been there; done that. Hang in there however you can. It's worth it in the end. Good luck and yeah, it stinks now.

shift_love 13

Yep. Same situation. Sucks a ton of ass. Keep going. It only gets better/worse lol.

bamagrl410 31

OP definitely isn't alone. That's the same situation I'm in, except I work fewer hours. I can't imagine 60 a week AND school. That's more than I can manage, so OP is obviously quite capable in that aspect.

I'm there right now. Juggling full time work and school. Racking up the debt along the way. I'd better ******* get a good paying job cuz I'm going INSANE right now

shyeahh_fml 19

64 - I'm going to assume that OP isn't capable because he/she is failing school. I would agree that OP is a beast for taking on that much responsibility, though!

AHappyGoth 14

I know your struggle. Not many people understand how tiring working ALL THE TIME *AND* going to school full time can be. Hang in there, OP.

Steve95401 49

I've been there and done that too. I managed to graduate, but my grades, social life and sleep clearly suffered for it. It really is worth it in the long run, however.

zero4life123 7

You must go to a expensive school then. Maybe it's time to take a new approach like stop going to school for a little bit save up the money then go back.

hooligyn123 18

Expensive school? Hell my 2 year degree is costing me 28K at a Community College. If you come from a family where you have to pay for everything on your own, everything is expensive.

how the **** are u paying so much? are you taking every class

hooligyn123 18

Most definitely not out of state. I will admit the Culinary Program does carry an extra $400 a term in fees, but quite a few of the programs out here do as well.

hooligyn123 18

And $3500 a term, 4 terms a year and 2 years would make $28,000.... So just what I said.

That sucks dude maybe tell them you can only work 44 hours a week

That makes no sense to me. If you have 60 hours of work you musn't have THAT much class right? SO why is it so damned expensive! I pay like 400 euros a year and I do 30 hours of class a week; you are paying A LOT since 60 hours of work a week won't cover it, and you can't have more than like 20 hours a week of class. THis is absolutely abysmal, I'm sorry OP, that is really, really unfair.

hellobobismyname 24

Maybe OP has rent and other bills to pay besides tuition or other school fees. And it also depends on what kinda job it is. I would work around 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, and I barely had enough to even survive let alone go to school. It's really unfortunate. OP, I hope things work out and that in the end it would have been worth it.

In America tuition for a 30 hour a week class in a decent School would be at least $25 grand a year probly closer to $40 grand there gouvernment pays for nothing

hooligyn123 18

Yeah I wish college was that cheap, as I mentioned above it's costing me $28,000 for just 2 years at a community college. That's not counting my rent and other bills.

Except in the United States, a college education can fly into the six figures.

In Australia, schooling (private school, which is common) is more expensive than uni in most cases

sleepinginclass 8

I work full time and go to school full time. It can be pretty rough on the sleep and social life for sure. My school is a little over 30,000 dollars a year. That's just tuition.

Welcome to America, where you pay way too much for everything!

rg350dx 29

I feel you. Similar thing, trying to find a job in my specific field I need experience performing that work, but how do I get that experience other than by having that job...?

that really sucks. maybe you can work something out with your job. just explain the situation