Welcome to Capitalism

By school issues - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I found out I'm failing school. Why am I failing? Because I work 60 hours a week. Why do I work 60 hours a week? To pay for school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 332
You deserved it 5 299

Top comments

Been there; done that. Hang in there however you can. It's worth it in the end. Good luck and yeah, it stinks now.

Comments

perdix 29

Plus, the amount of time you invest in FML. Some say "waste," but I think it enhances my writing skill.

TheCutestLizard 28
perdix 29

You'll be really hard-pressed to be an effective full-time student if you work more than, say, 20 hours a week. Either you need to work and save up money for school, or reduce your work hours and get financial aid or loans to cover the cost of school. I'll bet you are really good at your job!

Eh, it's not always that easy. I personally work 35-40 hours a week and that's just enough to cover rent and other bills, plus food. Very little for leisure. I also attend school full time, roughly 24 hours a week, 1.25 hour trek each way. It's really interesting trying to make things work.

Obey_StudBoii 23

Damn. I'm so sorry. I know what you're going through because I'm in the same boat.

Pstraka6 20

It is very hard to juggle school and work. You should pat yourself on the back because I have done it and it was never easy. Try to take a part time job or less hours to focus more on school so you are less stressed. You'll get through it!

acerima 11

Welcome to the wonderful world of American schooling.

I think the problem is more to do with the cost of living being too high, rather than it being a US education problem. Even here in Scotland, where the state pays for education up until you get your first degree, the cost of living often means that students need to work near full time hours to survive. Even if you live at home (and therefore don't pay rent) you need to pay for other things too. And yeah, you could buy your textbooks second hand (or get them out of a library) but you cannot do that for bus fares, fuel, phone bills, all on top of your education costs. I'm also not sure how the US system works, but in the UK certain people don't technically qualify for student support. I'm one of those. If I took out a student bursary I would get something like £80 a year max. Other people get into the hundreds.

In Australia, most of people go to private schools (which can be super expensive) in order to get into a good uni. Then uni costs are a lot smaller than actual high school.

We are on the same boat!! Hang in there OP.

Or have a chat to the schools finance department. I went to a private school from kindergarten to year 10 (not the same one ofcourse) but when my parents found things tough, the school was more than happy to help us out. Hang in there OP:)

Student loans. Student loans as far as the eye can see