Wish you were here

By sicksicksick - 01/06/2012 08:41 - Senegal

Today, after years of lobbying for a travel job, I'm finally in Africa. Everything I eat or drink comes violently back out both directions. When I don't eat or drink, I pass out. Essentially I have to choose between illness and consciousness. Hello, fabulous new job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 248
You deserved it 6 923

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well I think you should eat food rather then starve to death, maybe your body will adjust eventually.

holy ****, more people recognize that as Kelly Clarkson lyrics than a Nietzsche quote now? kind of sad $:

Comments

alymartin 1

But if u think about it there are children in Africa who know nothing but that because they have been there,their whole life has been that. Some kids have to run away to escape becoming child soldiers. Jtlyk.

redneckguy429 1

that's Africa for you useless

brianne_nicole 0
jjh1978 11

I've traveled fairly extensively and Pepto Bismol really truly does wonders, take it regularly talk to ur doc. First about how much to take u won't regret it.

I've traveled in Senegal and have made many friends there, and I know for a fact what is making you sick is the water. Your body hasn't adjusted to it yet, and it won't for awhile, but if you're not planning on staying there long enough for it to adjust (a few months) then I suggest just boiling all of your water or buying a purifier in Dakar, or just straight out buying all of your water purified, just make sure its actually being purified. That's what we did for all of my shorter trips. And you need to make sure everything that isn't thoroughly cooked is washed with this water, and always wash your hands and brush your teeth with it, don't get it in your mouth in the shower, ect. YDI though for not preparing to move to such a different environment, such as researching water concerns or getting your vaccinations.

You're absolutely right. It's the water. I am an Aussie and I have lived in India for 3 years now. The water supply in such developing places cannot be trusted and is very very commonly the cause of stomach upsets for travellers and new arrivals. This means OP, you need to boil your water or ensure that you are getting purified water for drinking, cooking, teeth brushing and possibly even to rinse your dishes with. Never eat anything that you arent 100% certain hasn't been RECENTLY boiled, fried or peeled by your own hand. That means no take out, no fresh squeezed juice or scoop icecream and so on, at least until your system has built up some resistance to the bugs there. Boil your milk too unless its UHT. You can and obviously must eat and drink, but you need to consider food safety. Its almost certainly not the food itself making you sick, but the bacteria that you have no resistance for. If you can, I suggest tracking down some other expats that live there and see if they have some helpful advice for you. OH and YDI for wanting a travel job for 'years', accepting one in Senegal and apparently not having any clue about food/water safety in developing countries.

Send £1 to OP so they can fly home... Ring 0800 1234567 or text Starve to 90089 lol

You'll probably get used to it soon enough. Whenever you change your diet, you always get a tad sick and then you're fine after awhile. Hang in there, Africa is beautiful. (:

I actually loved the food in Jordan when I went, and miss it terribly. There are no shawarmas that can compare to those in Jordan.